Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jealous Devil Pellets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jealous Devil Pellets

My local Ace Hardware is getting to be a pain in my wallet. I finally got beyond the PBC call but they have such a wide range of sauces and rubs that I inevitably buy something BBQ related when I go in. So today I went to get some keys made, and this jumped into my arms. 20lbs for 10 bucks, what the heck. I watched the results part of the pellet comparison video bbqLuv posted afterwards so I may have lucked out, these were highly rated. I haven't used them yet but I will report back when I do.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220218_162030.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.81 MB ID:	1177136
    Last edited by klflowers; February 18, 2022, 03:37 PM.

That's a good deal! I like that they come in a box instead of a bag, too. And that's a groovy graphic of Meathead as a younger dude...

Comment

I am interested in the results..

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto,

I am interested in your thoughts too!

Comment

I used the pellets yesterday. I figured I should try a long cook so I did a brisket. I had a 20lb prime brisket from Costco in the freezer. The.Chimp hopper holds 15lbs so I emptied the B&B I usually use and filled it with the Jealous Devil pellets. I set it at 250 and let the temps swing. The temp swings seemed a little less than with the B&B pellets, maybe 20-25 deg vs 25-30 deg. I also noticed more smoke coming out of the vents. Due to some rain I had to pull the brisket after around 14 hours and finish it in the oven. The hopper was close to empty. The pellets burned a little quicker than the B&B pellets. The brisket came out excellent, the best I have made on any smoker -but that may be because it was prime instead of the choice I usually buy. The smoke flavor was light as I expected, a little heavier than the B&B pellets. Got a great smoke ring, which I don’t get with B&B. Overall I like them better than anything I have used before (Traeger, Lumberjack, B&B). Lastly, excuse the poor picture. Bad planning meant I took it out of the cambro at 1AM, so this pic is straight out if the fridge this morning.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	FD9CCCD6-EC97-42E0-8AAC-5E0F550856A6.jpeg
Views:	422
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	1178980

Comment

I’ve used these in my SilverBac on pork butts and chickens. In pro mode they turned out great. When doing the butts I also filled up a smoke tube. I didn’t think it was necessary as the pro mode provided enough smoke for our tastes. IMO, they produce a nice flavor profile and don’t burn as quickly as others.

My next brand to try is Knotty Wood, excited to give those a try on a chuckie. Plum wood is interesting…..

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            I tried some plum pellets from Knotty Wood awhile back, but I don't remember anything special about it. I need to try them again.

I think I am going to give these a try. $15 for a box at my local Academy. I also like the box design.

Comment

Nice. I’m always on the lookout for new pellets. I found the Bear Mountain Bold Blend at my local Jewel (Albertsons) for $12.99. I bought the last bag and would’ve loaded up on more if they had it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here