Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PitBoss Pellets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PitBoss Pellets

any feedback on these pellets? They just might keep me smoking

I went through a 40lb bag a couple years ago and couldn't find any fault with it. Seemed to feed properly in my GMG DC and held constant temps. Unless I'm using mesquite or something else with potent flavor I couldn't really tell much difference in the finished product compared with another brand/flavor. I will probably go back to it soon as I'm about out of the Tenn. Grilling Co. pellets Albertsons here used to sell for $17/40lbs, I saw Pit boss at Menards the other day for $15/40lbs.

Comment

• SammyJ
      SammyJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your response. Walmart has them for 14.96 a pound.
      Last edited by SammyJ; November 15, 2021, 04:27 PM.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      No not for me. Jammed my first pellet twice. The second time, I got rid of them.
      Upgraded to a Traeger and now am happy with the Traeger pellet from Costco.

If they work for you, great. There are a ton of complaints about them causing issues with augers etc. so I wouldn’t be using them as my first choice, or frankly, second.
    Last edited by STEbbq; November 15, 2021, 07:47 PM.

Comment

I tried them in my Camp Chef and was not pleased. I had an auger jam followed by a flame out once I got it going again. For me the price is not worth the headache .

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep me too

I bought two bags to give them a shot and doubt I’ll buy them again. I can hear the auger straining to move them at times, all kinds of weird noises.

Comment

They aren't my favorite, but they work. Depends on your grill.

Comment

I did not have a problem with them, but now I buy B&B competition pellets from Academy. Roughly the same price.

Comment

Pit Boss pellets are solid in my SilverBac. No jams and they are the only ones I can get locally, are inexpensive, and taste great. The Pit Boss comp. pellets have a tangy after taste on the SilverBac. People say it is because the alder wood, I don't know, and I think it can complement ginger and curry rubs better.

I am currently experimenting with the Grilla Grills pellets and I do like them a little better, but I have to order them online and there twice as expensive. The smoke taste "seems cleaner" than Pit Boss, and my wife thinks they last a little longer (in the hopper than Pit Boss), but for us that is subjective.

Smokin' Pellets are next, I assume they will be very similar to the Grilla Grills pellets. I'll keep you updated if the are not.

Comment

I used years ago and just was not pleased. At that time, alot of trash. Maybe that has gotten better. Not sure. I do not think i will chance if.

Comment

A few months ago someone posted a link about Bear Mountain doing a buy one get 1/2 off sale on their website. I ordered four bags then and I’ve noticed that they seem to run the sale more often than not and I ordered four more bags and I have been using those exclusively for a couple of months now. I think I can get around four bags that weigh 20 pounds each for under $50 and I really like them. I also tried the gorilla pellets but they are somewhat more expensive and you have to buy at least three bags to get free shipping. I did like them though. I recently picked up a bag of Traeger cherry pellets for $13 at Costco but haven’t tried them yet. I have used only Traeger pellets at our lake house on the Traeger and we have all been pleased by them. I know Jeremy Yoder is not a fan though but that’s the only brand I’ve seen up there in the stores, though I haven’t looked too hard.
                Last edited by radiodome21; November 16, 2021, 03:22 PM.

Comment

I generally prefer to try to buy the pellet manufacturer brands themselves versus grill manufacturer rebranded pellets. It probably doesn’t matter that much, but feel there’s more transparency. Plus if it’s anything like a lot of store branded products, the better quality raw materials end up in their brands versus other brands they make.

If pricing is your main concern, are LumberJack pellets available locally for you? Their pricing is usually great. If you have friends that use pellet grills too, you could setup a group buy and order a pallet and divide it up and save even more.

That being said, I did burn probably 400-500 lbs of the Weber pellets because the SmokeFire was picky about pellets.
                  Last edited by glitchy; November 16, 2021, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Pit Boss is all I've been burning for the last couple years. I think that's all the local wolly world keeps in stock.

Comment

I like them for their price, but they are quite dusty. Of course I've bought them from Wallyworld online, so the shipping surely has something to do with the amount of dust. And as a warning, lots of dust + humid weather and not running your auger dry = auger jams. The dust and pellets swell up. Jams are a huge headache.

Comment

A friend using a Daniel Boone GMG consistently warns me off using Pit Boss pellets. He's had nothing but problems. It's anecdotal, but he is that firm about it, that it has scared me off using them.

Comment

The only issue I had was the bottom 25% of the bag was pure saw dust. Just don’t pout that in the auger.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here