Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LumberJack 100% Hickory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LumberJack 100% Hickory?

Just picked this up and hoping it adds more smoke flavor. Watched Jeremy’s video and makes a lot of sense. Anyone tried this yet and how we’re the results?
    Last edited by Mark-B; October 30, 2021, 02:41 PM.

I’ve used the LJ Hickory and very much liked them! What brand have you been using up to this point? I will say though, there is no pellet brand on the market that’s gonna give you a super strong smoke profile if that’s what you’re after. Just not the nature of pellet grills. Pellet munchers add a very tasty smoke seasoning vs "smoked". Some pellets provide a bit more "seasoning".

Comment

• Mark-B
      Mark-B commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve been using Weber pellets, the comp and now hickory. They are OK, but hoping for better. I just read that Lumberjack makes Weber, but don’t know if it’s true as it was on the internet! I don’t thin Weber has 100% hickory though so it’s why I bought it. Gonna try the new pellets tonight in my gasser on the Grill Grates with pork chops so I’ll get my first impressions.
      Last edited by Mark-B; October 30, 2021, 05:24 PM.

Yep, LJ hickory is my go to pellet. Those in a pellet tube and extreme smoke setting on my RT really adds to the smokiness. They are great to plop on my gasser too.

Comment

I found the weber pellets to be way too heavy on the ash production. Also I believe I measured the pellets at one point and the webers are not the same circumference as the LJ (but it may have been another brand, whatever one people were saying made weber at the time) so if they are making them, it's not from the same pellet die.

As to LJ, I had a few bad experiences with them. But since our new BBQ supply store opened up, I gave LJ another try and have liked what I've tried so it was likely the way the bags were handled with my previous bad experiences, I just prefer the smokehouse pellets at sams club value wise.

Comment

Like rwalters said it’s probably not going to knock your socks off, but hopefully you can notice the difference. Though I think the Weber Grill Master is 100% flavor woods and is a decent pellet minus the heavier ash ItsAllGoneToTheDogs mentioned, so you won’t notice a huge change.
        Last edited by glitchy; October 31, 2021, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• Mark-B
          Mark-B commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, hoping too. I cooked some ribs a few weeks ago starting really low, 210 degrees for about an hour. Had a smoke tube in with hickory chips too. The final result was exactly what I wanted. Then I tried a Pork Butt last week doing similar. It turned out ok, but not very smoky. I plan to smoke a brisket next with Lumberjack pellets and cook lower, longer.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here