Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Royal Oak 100% Charcoal Pellets?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Oak 100% Charcoal Pellets?!

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210609-162516.png
Views:	1601
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	1043071

I've been mixing the blended charcoal pellets from a few brands in with my smoking pellets, I find it seems to help with temp recovery when doing a cook where you open the lid often to spritz or move things around. Grilling they seem to come to temp a bit quicker but nothing extrodinary.

I will try these if I can get them locally and depending on their price may use them more than once If I do a review I will do so straight and also mixed in a blend.

Comment

I thought someone else had pure charcoal pellets.

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        It depends on what I eat...

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        All 3 I have used are blends: PittBoss, Lumberjack, and BBQers Delight JD ones.

PitBoss has charcoal blend pellets.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        That's it. I use Pit Boss but haven't seen the charcoal.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        I have only seen them online.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        Editing a comment
        they are an oak blend... of the charcoal blends I've tried I like the BBQers delight ones the most but they are expensive (not available locally) and then 2nd I liked the char hickory that Lumberjack has. The PB ones honestly didn't do anything different with temps or recovery time like the other 2.

They have a live stream on the facebook today at noon eastern.

Royal Oak Charcoal. 118,141 likes · 525 talking about this. Royal Oak Charcoal is the largest US producer of natural lump charcoal, and we’re proud to offer a full suite of grilling products from...

Comment

Do Charcoal Pellets help with making meat that Meteorite black that wood does?

Comment

Watched the live stream.

Biggest selling point for them:
          They are water resistant. You can submerge them in water and they come out unchanged.

Other selling points:
          They are 100% charcoal in pellet form.
          They reach a higher heat for searing if you have a direct burn option, like on a Traeger or the SmokeFire.
          They give that charcoal flavor.
          They will work low and slow.
          They produce a low to average amount of ash.

Unanswered questions:
          Not tested in a smoke tube.
          Can you mix with traditional wood pellets? (one assumes so, but who knows)
          Is the hardness a potential problem for your augur... jams and whatnot.

I'm interested. I've been doing thick, pub style burgers on the Grilla and that charcoal flavor might be a nice add. Also, they might require a lower rate of pellet feed at the typical smoke temps. But isn't the selling point of the pellet pooper that you're burning "real wood" and getting efficient combustion?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            They did a fairly convincing demonstration.

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs , I'm guessing "water resistant" in this case means they won't be ruined like wood pellets would be if they get wet. A regular piece of charcoal (lump or briquette) is still usable once it dries out.
            Last edited by Steve R.; June 10, 2021, 02:19 PM.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            Editing a comment
            Steve R. that makes more sense especially since they don't expand. My brain was thinking more along the lines of some coating but just the inherent nature of charcoal being good after it dries out makes more sense

Pellet Pro @SmokeDaddy has been selling charcoal pellets for at least a few years or more. They advise to mix them with your regular wood pellets as they burn hotter {the charcoal pellets} You can buy them on Amazon also so I don't thinks this is something new with Royal Oaks announcement.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            Editing a comment
            Those are a blend like the others on the market.

Hoping to try these myself. I can not find them anywhere in stores or on line. Does anybody know anywhere where they can be found?

Thanks

Comment

I have been intrested. I may be buying pellets from low end sources since they all seem to degrade into saw dust and clog up smoker. How do these fair?

Comment

Available at HD.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here