Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative to wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to wood

Hello all, my mom is in Costa Rica and she has an electric smoker. She is not well but she loves to cook and she misses my bbq. She cant get wood chips or pellets out there, is there any alternative that anyone has used that can be used to give a smokey flavor? She is not in the rain forest she is by the city so there are not many trees. Thanks in advance!

I was going to suggest HDPE plastic, but you aren't talking about cutting boards....

Comment

Some charcoal is made from coconut husks - can she try them?

Comment

• tenphases
        tenphases commented
        Editing a comment
        Coconut husk.....they got a ton of those down there, I gotta look into it, thanks

Chinese smoke using tea in a foil pouch. I have heard of smoking with hay, sounds a bit off putting but some do it.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        The hay smoking is kind of like cold smoking, as it burns very fast, puts off a lot of smoke very quickly, and then it's done. In Italy, they smoke fresh moz with hay.

• tenphases
        tenphases commented
        Editing a comment
        i dont know if my mom will do it but i want to try it now lol

Are pellets an option? Those could work in an electric smoker. Also, could you not mail a bag of wood chips down there?

Comment

• tenphases
        tenphases commented
        Editing a comment
        delivery is like 4 weeks, I dont want to wait to long

What about wood utensils like spoons and such. Amazon perhaps. Oak furniture stripped down??!a barstool or table or perhaps a cabinet or dresser??

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually a great idea Homey.
        I have a bunch of oak wood scraps from stair railings and such that I have been using lately in my BGE.
        Works quite well.

• tenphases
        tenphases commented
        Editing a comment
        oh .....whoa thats a great idea!

So I was trying to send my mom some wood chips and I was looking for the best shipping options. Turns out Weber opened up their first full fledged store in Costa Rica just 10 minutes from her house this year lol. Momma got wood chips, a weber q, a jumbo joe, and enough wood and charcoal to get her throygh 2021

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here