Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hay

Is it worth it? Pellet mfg's? Also found "Tractor Supply" corn "pellets"

Your question is pretty cryptic. Are you wondering about using hay or corn cob for smoking?

If so, I've smoked with hay. It puts out a fair bit of smoke, so it's better for short-term smoking, not for a long cook like brisket. The smoke is fairly mild. Hay works fine when cold-smoking cheese or as a brief cold-smoke before grilling fast-cooking foods like fish (all the while keeping food safety temps in mind).

Can't speak about smoking with corn cob -- I've not tried it.
    Last edited by IowaGirl; August 15, 2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Ricorocks
      Ricorocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Both! I would like to try 'hay' smoke for burgers 3min side hay smoke, hay smoking is not widely talked about.

Corn came up, searching on hay, then that seemed interesting.

IowaGirl there is a company in Vermont that sells corncob smoked bacib and hams, online.

Comment

My guess on the pellets you found are for livestock consumption. Grandpa would always toss some hay pellets in the trough for the hogs when we fed them. Stand clear when you toss them in the trough as you might lose a foot.

Comment

As IowaGirl says, yup, pretty cryptic. Speak a de Engrish.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        El no habla inglés.

..... is for horses!

ha!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        and …..straw is cheaper and grass is free!

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess if you grew up on a dairy farm or were a "town kid" you might think hay is alfalfa, but he kind of hay I make IS plain dried grass. Here's a funny video I put together, and, yep, that's me in the skid steer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzV9zoodGi0

If you don't have access to "real" hay, cut some long lawn grass, let it dry, and there you go.

Straw is cheaper only if you live where they grow wheat or oats nearby so there's the stems to make into straw. It's all relative, I guess.
        Last edited by IowaGirl; August 16, 2019, 07:48 PM.

Corn Pellets "Tractor Supply"

Finally got to a Tractor Supply and replenished my supply of corn cob pellets! The description states: "Made from 100% All Natural Corn Cob Bedding, manufactured from the lightweight, most absorbent parts of the cobs. No Additives or Chemicals added to our product" This is the same stuff...

Comment

Had to get some cat litter and dog food this weekend, so I stopped by my local TSC to stock up. They had a 40 pound bag of corn cob pellets for $10. I got it with the idea I could use it in my cats' litter box if the corn cob doesn't work for smoking. The pellets are pretty much the same as pellets used for a pellet grill/smoker.

I mixed about 2 parts corn cob pellets with 1 part hardwood pellets and used this mixture to smoke a slab of pork spare ribs. I put the pellets in an Amazen smoker gadget and used it in my Smoke Vault propane smoker.

The mixture made a mild smoke that made my deck and yard smell real good. Based on that odor, I had hopes it would make the meat smell and taste as good.

Um, well ... I haveta say it didn't add a lot of smoky character to the ribs. I was less than impressed. My opinion remained the same after having leftover ribs for lunch today. The smoke flavor just wasn't there.

I'll experiment with it a little more, but I'm thinking corn cobs are more like what I've gotten from smoking with hay rather than smoking with hardwood pellets. The flavor is very, very mild and light. Would be good for cheese. Might be nice on fish. Possibly chicken. But on ribs it was ... a little disappointing.

Comment

IowaGirl I mentioned the Vermont corn cob smoked bacon. Looked it up. So here it is. https://www.dakinfarm.com/Cob-Smoked-Bacon,3108.html Maybe you can do a take off from it.

Comment

I'm confused -- I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to learn from your link, mountainsmoker. If a person wants to smoke their bacon or ham with cobs, that's perfectly fine with me. You've directed this cob-smoked bacon/ham comment specifically at me twice now, so I get the feeling I am supposed to get more out of it than just that. A recipe or method or something else?

Comment

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              I just thought you might want to see the flavors used.

• IowaGirl
              IowaGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for clarifying. Will do.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here