Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire starters. Paper, charcoal bag, Weber cubes or Quickfire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use newspaper or Weber cubes. The cubes light anything I throw on from my kettle, drum or campfire.

Comment

An alternative to the Weber cubes (which are great) is Rutland Safe Lite Fire Starter squares, 144 to a box. They used to be stupid cheap at Home Depot (but now they're too pricey there), but they can still be picked up inexpensively if you shop around online for someone selling them between $7 and $10 a box. They also sell them at Tractor Supply for $12.99 a box. Considering you get 144 of them in a box, that can work out to be cheap per light compared to Weber cubes, and they have worked quite well for me every time.

Comment

Still use the Weber cubes but have tried the Porter Road green packing they include in their shipping. They claim it is a fire starter and it appears to work.

Comment

I typically use the BGE starters. They seem to work well

I was told to be real careful what you use because of the porous ceramic in the Kamados

Comment

I use the Weber cubes. I usually pick them up from Amazon a couple boxes at a time. Last time I ordered them (last summer?) they were on sale, and came out to about $1.50 per box. I also keep a paper grocery sack in the garage, and throw the 'good' paper from the mail into it, meaning stuff like the free local newspaper or anything close to newsprint.

EDIT: just looked at my last Amazon order that included the cubes. They were $2.00 a box, not $1.50.

Comment

Side note- If you make a little stand with foil to put the Weber starter cube up an inch or so, you can light a full chimney of charcoal with only 1/2 cube. They cut in half fairly easily with a paring knife. I am also a cheap sucker. (That can make it ~$2/box crazytown3)

Comment

• Dan Deter
                Dan Deter commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, if you want cheap, Gulf Wax combined with sawdust...

• bardsleyque
                bardsleyque commented
                Editing a comment
                That's "frugal" Huskee not cheap!

• crazytown3
                crazytown3 commented
                Editing a comment
                Huskee I like your style!

Steve R. As needed, I open the Weber cubes over my PBC or WSCGC/SnS combo. All the crumbs fall into the cooker over the charcoal area. My storage box stays nice and neat that way.

Kathryn

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I hate to make generalizations, but: "You women! You're always so neat & tidy!" Lol.

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Huskee , are you sayin we are slobs?

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm shouting it from the rooftops FireMan

Weber cubes run about $.18 each around here. Quick fires look to be about $.59 large container. Been using the cubes for a long time, but lately seem to notice more black smoke and unpleasant smell. Did they change their formula?

Comment

I love the Weber cubes, too. Lately, I've been using a box of Oklahoma Joe's starters I found at Academy. They're like a ball of wood rope bundled together. They light easy and take about 15 minutes to get the charcoal in my PBC chimney red hot.

Comment

I like to use IRS forms. They burn really good.

Comment

I'm a fan of the Tumbleweeds. They work well for me and seem more dog friendly...for those times they decide it would be fun to play an impromptu game of chase.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190719_141142.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	717058

Comment

• Steve R.
                      Steve R. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I like these, too. But they have a tendency to come unraveled and shed strands of that stuff. The mess does mostly stay in the box, so you can just dump out the loose pieces and light that if needed.

So nobody uses bottles and bottles of Kingsford lighter fluid like I do? I love it when flames shoot 3 feet above my pit.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                      ComfortablyNumb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Lighter fluid is for sissy boys. If you want to see the flames shoot use gasoline. ;-)

• mnavarre
                      mnavarre commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you really, really want a show use Coleman lantern gas. Big Bada Boom.

ComfortablyNumb gasoline & lightning! Whoa Nellie!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                      ComfortablyNumb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep, it's the big fun. Nice eyebrows you have there, where can I get a pair?

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here