Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Things First - SAFETY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinaker - I'll be the very first to admit that fire scares me. I'm afraid of uncontrolled fire. It lives; it breathes, it eats, it reproduces. When I was in the petrochem industry, we had to go to a firefighting school every other year.

Uncontrolled fire scares me BIG time. I had a buddy almost burn his house to the ground because he forgot that after his cook, he ran his kamado up to 500° or so in a high temp burn off. That's why whenever I'm going to be away from my active kamado, I always set alarms on my watch to check on it. Always!

Comment

Originally posted by CeramicChef View Post
      Spinaker - I'll be the very first to admit that fire scares me. I'm afraid of uncontrolled fire. It lives; it breathes, it eats, it reproduces. When I was in the petrochem industry, we had to go to a firefighting school every other year.

Uncontrolled fire scares me BIG time. I had a buddy almost burn his house to the ground because he forgot that after his cook, he ran his kamado up to 500° or so in a high temp burn off. That's why whenever I'm going to be away from my active kamado, I always set alarms on my watch to check on it. Always!
      Yeah man, people die every year from BBQ related accidents. All of it is preventable. I remember hearing about that guy last year that was killed when his grill/lid filled with un lit propane gas, suddenly ignited. The lid hit him in the fore head and all but took his head off, killing him instantly.

I keep an extinguisher in my kitchen pantry, Two in the garage where I smoke and two full-size ones next to my wood shed. (water and Co2)

Comment

I've had a couple close calls with my kamado. Yes, I keep a fire extinguisher close by, but it can still spook the hell out of me; as my current cooking area is on my open, but covered, porch. After doing a low and slow, especially if I've cooked a lot of ribs, I'll extinguish the fire, then move the kamado in the open and burn it off. However, a small spill from a drip pan can result in a runaway fire situation. It's for that reason that I don't like foil type pans for drip pans. However, finding something round, heavy, AND the right size for my rig still eludes me. Maybe I'll go to a welding shop and have one made. The foil drip pans can easily bend, and that can mean disaster if you spill grease on your coals. I still use them, but one must be very careful by checking the food often, and emptying the pan before it fills too much.

In fact, I think I'll make an "executive decision" and make an area just off the porch just for the kamado, where it's completely in the open. It's gonna suck getting rained, snowed, and sleeted on; but, oh well, safety comes first.

Comment

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          When I build a permanent outdoor cooking area on the new property, I'll use a lightweight ferro-cement matrix for the roof structure, which will not burn. Its pretty cheap, attractive, and very effective. I could pick up a 15" cast iron skillet and cut the handle off.That should work.

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          It would be easy to rig a sturdy lifting bale for said cast iron skillet. I just have a thing about messing up a cast iron skillet! lol I was just thinking of making a round, drip pan from 10-12Ga. steel, and call it good. We'll see...

• BGWolf
          BGWolf commented
          Editing a comment
          I found a deep dish pizza pan (heavy gauge steel) at a local restaurant supply store. It is the perfect drip pan for my XL BGE setup.

CeramicChef thanks again for this safety thread that reminded me to do a couple of things...I have now purchased new fire extinguishers for both my homes.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee - this thread, I believe, is a keeper

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          tbob4 Done!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here