Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Of mice and man...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of mice and man...

Since it got warm and into the 60's today I figured I'd take my lunch break to clean up the gasser a little. Bought it used about a year ago for a really good deal. Blaze 34" 3 burner with rear infrared rotisserie. I use it from time to time for quick weeknight meals or to sear post sous vide. I was prepared to break it down starting with the grates all the way down to the drip pan. Easy task, right? Upon opening, something didn't look quite right. There were multiple little burnt pieces of stuff sprinkled on the heat diffuser thingy's. Upon closer inspection it wasn't food. Mouse poop! It was on the grates and everywhere else possible. We just had some rain and the pull out drip pan was full of water and swollen droppings. Disgusting!
    I broke the whole grill down, put the parts on a 6 foot table and gutted the drawers. Disinfected the cabinet drawers, scraped and scrubbed the entire cavity of the cooking area. Scrubbed each part with Dawn and hot water, then sprayed with Citrus Safe, scrubbed again and rinsed thoroughly. reassembled the grill then turned the 3 burners on high and shut the top for 20 minutes. Opened it up and the heat diffusers were glowing red. Man, I forgot how hot this thing can cook.
    Eyeballed the 28" Blackstone to the right and figured I'd lift the Stainless steel cover just to check. Yep, culprits were there previously. This was a 10-15 minute task to clean and went ahead and knocked it out.
    My grill wasn't really all that dirty but obviously enough to attract rodents. What do you all do to keep them away? We don't have small kids here just visiting sometimes so I put a brick of Tomcat in the cabinet behind the propane and another in the top drawer in the back right corner. Our dogs stay inside and are never not supervised so figured that would be pretty safe.

Its amazing how it seems they can't travel 1 inch without pooping. :I

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      So freakin true.

1 inside cat, 3 outside cats, and 1 innie/outtie keep us pretty clear of the little nasties. We do live on acreage in a semi-rural area so the outties hang out with the dogs who aren't too bad at mousing themselves.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      My darn varmint killer still bites me but gave up on the rats about 2 years ago. It has cost me big $$$ replacing venting. The dogs keep the back acre clear but the front belonged to the cat. I even have a neighbor’s adopted critter come over but he is blind!!

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 it sounds like you have a calico, sweet as heck until they aren't! The shelters are full of sweet, loving mouse murderers!

I have enough wild cats outside to give an inside rat and mouse problem. "Thankfully" my problem has been confined to the garage. I've caught 5 rats on glue traps in the last 2 weeks. Tossing a bunch of camping gear. No biggee, it was geared to sleep 9-10, I'm single now.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, we had mice in the garage too. Tomcat blocks solved that problem.

I had the little bastards in my truck cab and under the hood,leave some dryer sheets where you don't want them,works amazingly well.
    ( I hate em!)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here