Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience with a propane refill kit like this one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any experience with a propane refill kit like this one?

I was thinking of getting a 1-gallon refillable propane tank to use with a torch like this.

But the one I see on Amazon costs over $60. Seems steep for 1 gallon.

Then I ran into this. any experience with something like this?

1 lb. Refillable Propane Cylinder with Refill Kit

Click image for larger version

Name:	flame-king-propane-tanks-ysn1lbkt-64_1000.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	575133

​​​​​​​https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-Ki...D5VlU20JPD_BwE

I see no reason this won't work. Sort of ingenious to set the 20# tank upside down to get liquid out to the small 1# tank.

I've got an adapter hose I use with my Performer that lets you hook a 20# tank to any device that uses the 1# tanks, so haven't bought any of those except for when my daughter went camping last year and wanted to use the Coleman lantern.

Comment

Well, I ordered it. Now I need to find a torch to buy.

Comment

I also bought an adapter that allowed me to connect a 20 lb propane tank directly to my Performer gas igniter.

Comment

Originally posted by Attjack View Post
        Well, I ordered it. Now I need to find a torch to buy.
        A Bernzomatic TS8000 and a Searzall make a pretty good combo:

Name:	Torch with Searzall.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	575246

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice. That's a disposable tank?

Originally posted by MBMorgan View Post

A Bernzomatic TS8000 and a Searzall make a pretty good combo:
        Yep ... disposable in this case.

Comment

Well, my propane refill kit arrived today. It comes with a nice little tank that is shorter and wider than the blue disposable variety. So it's more stable when you set it down. If the refill procedure is easy enough this will have been a good purchase.

Maybe I'll have to get a Searsall in the future. Chances are that I will. @MBMorgan

I'm all about propane this week.

Comment

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            Godspeed and don’t blow yourself up!

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah. That disposable is one of the short, fat camp stove types. Searzall can’t be used with the tall, skinny tanks because it will easily tip over ... and if it’s running when (not if) that happens, bad things will happen.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            That makes sense MBMorgan, but it cannot be used with, or it should not be used with the tall tanks?

Should not. If you’re using the torch without the searzall, there’s no problem.

Comment

I found this warning on the Searsall page amusing. Apparently, the reason you shouldn't give this to toddlers is that they could choke on it.

Name:	lLDUyKX.png
Views:	228
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	578336

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              There are a couple of small parts that could potentially cause problems. The main part of the searzall, not so much.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah but I think even if there were no small parts small children shouldn't be playing with a Searsall. Maybe they could say:

Warning: Choking hazard and face melting hazard

Just make sure you freeze your empty bottles first for at least 30 minutes. Also once you refill the 1 lb tanks it is a felony with prison or fine for transporting. (Read the warning labels on em).So whatever you do don’t tell the cops if you get pulled over that you have a full reloaded 1 lb propane tank in your vehicle along with your home made whiskey bbq sauce.
            I belive the fine is up to 100,000 dollars

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              For the homemade sauce or the bottle??

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Good to know. Hadn't planned on transporting it. Now I'll plan on not transporting it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here