Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q: Gasser won't achieve temps at grill reading spot like it used to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q: Gasser won't achieve temps at grill reading spot like it used to

Used to get 450 degrees + on single burner of three burner. Now it will hit a temp usually around 220 then stop rising and immediately drop off slowly. Used 3 bottles - similar results..... Do pressure regs ever go bad? I see no reason to suspect a plug. Help me please.

Yes - pressure regulators do go bad. I had a low flame issue on my Weber Genesis a few years ago that was solved by replacing the regulator.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea agree. It's the old starter/battery/cable scenario. It's either the regulator, the gas bottle or a leaky/plugged hose. Sounds like the regulator for sure.

Let me add that you should first try resetting the regulator by doing this:

1. Open the lid of the grill.
    2. Be sure that all controls on the grill are OFF.
    3. Be sure that LP tank valve is fully closed.
    4. Disconnect the LP tank.
    5. Open all valves on the grill fully.
    6. Let grill stand for 1-2 minutes so that all gas escapes the grill hoses, allowing pressure on regulator to equalize.
    7. Turn all control knobs back to OFF.
    8. Reconnect the regulator to the LP tank.
    9. SLOWLY open the LP tank valve just about 1/2 to 3/4 a turn or so, until you hear gas flow into the regulator.
    10. Try lighting the grill again.

Often if you just open the LP tank really fast, it causes the diaphragm in the regulator to get stuck, due to the burst of high pressure. Opening the LP tank very slowly helps prevent this.

If you still have issues, I would get a new regulator.

Comment

• Daddio on the Patio
      Daddio on the Patio commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn’t know that the speed of opening the valve could be problematic. Thanks for the info jfmorris!

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I've found that some of the regulators I've had over the years go into a shutdown mode if you open the tank too quickly, but are fine if I just slowly open the gas. If they do, the above reset procedure can take care of it.

I would agree with jfmorris I bet it is the regulator.

Max Good might be able to shed some light as well, he is after all, the Keeper Of The Flame!

Comment

If the problem continues after trying the suggestions above, contact the manufacturer. What brand of grill do you have?

Comment

I would agree that it is probably the regulator. Big box stores have them.

Comment

I bet if you follow jfmorris succession your problem will be solved. Let’s us know if it did.

Comment

• wotan92
            wotan92 commented
            Editing a comment
            DWCowles > New reg was the answer. But thanks to all for excellent SAFE troubleshooting advice!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here