Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cajun Fryer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cajun Fryer

I've been eyeing a new deep fryer for a couple years, and finally pulled the trigger on a 6 gallon Cajun Fryer.

I've got a few cooks in on it, and so far I'm happy as can be. The build quality is very good, but they are not spending any time with grinding before painting. There are more than a few places that have welding splatter that could have been cleaned up, but wasn't. This is purely a cosmetic thing, and doesn't change the most important thing, how it cooks. And it cooks really well. Heat up from 45° to 350° is less than 30 minutes. For comparison, my old pot and burner combo would take almost and hour to heat up.

Along with the cooker I also got the turkey basket, and a cover. The basket is easy to use, and the cover seems to be of decent construction. Time will be the real test if the cover.

All in all, I'm very happy with this purchase, and would recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade their frying game.

To be honest, I've been really bad about taking pics of my cooks here lately, so all I have are a couple of shots of the turkey test run.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221113_020710113.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.34 MB ID:	1326493

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221113_020719210.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.04 MB ID:	1326492

I have the same one. Got it 4-5 years ago. I love mine and use it quite regularly. Mainly wings. It is a beast of a cooker. Not the prettiest of rigs, but I don’t care. It works great.

Comment

A Cajun Fryer is at the top of my MCS list, but every time I mention it, I get "The Look".

Comment

This would be very cool, and fun, to add to my cooker stable. However, I have always wondered how you dispose of the oil after a change out? Especially six gallons!

Comment

• lumbrjk
        lumbrjk commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you filter the oil before throwing it in the fridge?

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        lumbrjk - I don't have one of these fryers, but I have a 1 gal jug just for fryer oil, and I do filter before storing.

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        Cooking oil can go in your regular trash. Just save the containers it came in.

A good friend has the 4 gal two basket stainless version that has found a home in our garage. It's a great fryer but even better at being a low country boil cooker!! You can cook a ton of food FAST and it controls the temp great and clean up is pretty easy too, just fill with some soapy water and boil it for a few then dump and rinse it out.

Comment

Nice rig. Now I cannot be happy until I have one. Thanks

Comment

• willxfmr
          willxfmr commented
          Editing a comment
          The design lets you use the oil for a lot longer than a traditional pot and burner design. In the long run, it's saves you money. Just sayin',,,

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          It would actually cost me money to not buy it. Now I feel much better!

I like that cooker however I need one maybe gallon or 2 all I would cook would be wings and fish think I will look into the builders items Thanks for the show!!

Comment

These are the best. I love mine. I use it all the time in the summer, at least 3 times a week.

If you are using it to dry a lot of breaded foods, make sure to drain the bottom, periodically. You might have to add oil to the top, once you have drained it to remove any breading. It is not a huge issue, more of a vernal maintenance thing I try to do through out the frying season. If you are ripping wings all the time, no worries. Breaded foods are the only thing that can make the oil dirty.

I put a brass ball valve on my drain spout. This makes things really easy when I want to drain some of the settled material at the bottom of the fryer.

Make sure to use a grill mat under the fryer. As with any frying, you can have oil spitting out from time to time. It is almost unavoidable when you are frying, especially if you are frying breaded stuff from frozen. This is not a big deal, but it helps to keep some oil drips off your deck/patio. You will also drip some oil, at some point when transferring food to the bowl from the basket.

Have fun! These are a blast to own and they make some great food. My Favorites are wings, won-tons, egg rolls pork tenderloins!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, that sounds awesome. Now I am thinking, chocolate, tiny mallows, rolled in powdered graham cracker..........wow. Now I am hungry. RonB

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker - I purchased a wonton e-cookbook some time ago. Lots of good stuff in it, but the chocolate stuffed wontons were the first thing I made. My wife absolutely loved them, and I thought they were very good. If you stuff wontons, you know the process. The recipe calls for using Hershey's Kisses, but I think using one of the large bars that has the rectangles marked works better. You can fit ~ 1 1/3 "squares" inside each wonton.

• willxfmr
          willxfmr commented
          Editing a comment
          It is your fault one of these ended up in my garage. Being able to get a seasons worth of frying out of the oil makes this well worth having.
          Mine came with a valve installed already, so now I just need a short piece of pipe and a 90° fitting, and draining will be a breeze.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here