Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Propane Tank Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great advice, you're all set. I have a 500 gallon tank, so I can't pick it up. But then again, I don't concern myself with running out. The propane company takes care of that.

Comment

Call me nervous Nellie. I don’t keep any propane tanks inside. Even the little guys.
      Get a cheap shed or a heavy grill cover to keep them out of the weather. Just me. NoBoom!

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I've used tanks inside my garage with the side door and roll up door open before, for brewing beer on a burner, but I take the tanks out to the end of the house for storage, and do not keep them in the garage. Unfortunately, in an urban situation, not sure Panhead John has any choice in the situation.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        You’re correct Jim. I don’t have any problem keeping them in the garage anyway.

Sorry for the late response, but math is hard, and I'm not getting any younger.

At 20,000 BTU of output a full 20lb tank should last 21.5 hours and burn 0.219 gallons per hour. Gallons per hour to BTU is linear, so you can calculate usage based on the output of your cooker.

You can also subtract the tare weight of the tank from the full (or current) weight to know how many pounds you are starting with. Then you simply run the numbers by knowing that one gallon of propane equals 4.237 pounds.
      Last edited by willxfmr; July 27, 2022, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here