Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp Chef SV 24" or Masterbuilt 40" ThermoTemp XL or...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camp Chef SV 24" or Masterbuilt 40" ThermoTemp XL or...

OK, I have a big Yoder, Weber w SNS and Oklahoma Joe Bronco, big Blackstone griddle, gasser, gas stove and more in my outdoor kitchen. But I am looking for a "pulled pork + ribs" extra surface area solution when i am cooking larger quantities. or maybe when I want a simpler approach.

Which is better? Or should I even be looking at these? It's not like I am planning for this to be my brisket solution. I have 0.0 experience with vertical C3H8 smokers. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

PS, they are 258 (CC) and 339 (Masterbuilt) on Amazon. It seems like CC is heavier built but MB has more surface area and maybe better controls??

Comment

Happy to help you spend money.

However, what is preventing you from using the Big Yoder plus OKJ to handle pulled pork plus ribs?

That might give us some clues as to a good rec.

Comment

• fracmeister
        fracmeister commented
        Editing a comment
        I do. But OKJ I often have to cut ribs in half so it is a volume issue. And sometimes I cook a lot. Just did 14 pork butts and had to enlist a friend

I have the SV 24. Love the size if I need the extra space, though I have mainly utilized it for smoking sausage and bacon. Allows for a really good smoke profile using chunks.

Comment

I’d lean Camp Chef as well given the multiple positive reviews here. I’d be hard pressed to recommend MB’s non-charcoal products.

Comment

I had the MB Thermo Temp XL 40" for a few years. Sold it when I got my CC Woodwind 36" pellet grill. I never had any issues with it. I sold it to the pastor of my church. Max Good has a great review of the MB earning a Platinum medal. The thermostatic control was really great. If you go to the MB website you should be able to get the dimensions of the 4 racks. I do not have a single bad thing to say about it. You may see a few complaints from others about flameouts. They are caused by insufficient tightening of the gas connection at the safety device. My wife occasionally tells me she wishes I still had it, LOL!

Here is a good thread in the propane cookers section that goes in to more detail.

Comment

Sounds like both are fine. I just wen with the cheaper one (Camp Chef 24) and will give it a test run and report.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BF307079-4149-4F82-AA03-E48B98D501A6.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1229773 Assembly took a little while. Two people would speed up the leg assembly. Everything else very easy. Burn in using just some stray oak pencil diameter twigs. So far the thermometer on the door is tracking my digital probe from 175 up to 375. Likely my entire range so that is good. Will do some ribs. This thing is WAY bigger than I expected and well built for a C3 H8 box
              Click image for larger version

Name:	70346DAA-0849-4F36-8C55-7511106D078E.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	1229775 Click image for larger version

Name:	B60D3869-0E7A-43C9-B945-8BD97C743242.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1229774

Comment

• willxfmr
                willxfmr commented
                Editing a comment
                Congratulations on the new cooker! She's a beauty.

I realize the digital is 257 compared to 250 but there was a little time difference…they have been +/- 2 degrees all the way to 370. Now sure how long to burn in but i went a couple hours. Will report on first rib cook as i have a couple racks handy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here