Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lighter Fluid? How often do you use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t use lighter fluid, but newspaper. Though lighter fluid is probably better for the environment and health than newspaper.

Comment

Use it if you have to. Everyone else can screw off

Comment

Aromatic hydrocarbons or soy ink and bleached paper. I know which one I would prefer, however, I load up my chimney and put it on the side burner of my gasser. Works like a charm.....

Comment

Wow! Never knew this would blow up as big as ecowper ‘s chili post a while back. Many opinions here, that’s good. Can’t wait to start my next post.....”Do people outside Texas, REALLY know how to cook?” 😂😂 Just Kidding! Leave me alone.

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            People outside of Texas do cook, its whether or not you can get some poor sap to eat it or not.....in my case anyway.
            I think you would be a fool to ignore Texas, and Southwest cooking also, as being a major contributor of how we season and cook food in the last decade plus.
            May be a short sighted comment on my behalf but in this household it holds true.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Well done sir

Never. Too many other good ways to get a fire going.

Comment

I was going to throw in my two bobs worth but I think you have learned your lesson Panhead John haha

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Apparently I haven’t Stuey1515 See my above post. LOL

I was a propane grill guy for years. Then got back into charcoal with a BGE. Can’t use lighter fluid because of the ceramic. Once I started using a chimney there was no need for lighter fluid. I can close my eyes and still remember the smell though.

I used those electric coils, looftlighter, bbq dragon, they all work but the easiest way for me is two Weber cubes. I don’t get the paper anymore so I never have newspaper on hand.

Comment

I have several quarts in the garage that I buy on sale, but only use it for lighting my fire pit when the logs are less than perfectly seasoned. For cooking, chimney only, with cubes & paper.

Comment

• hoovarmin
                hoovarmin commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a good tip.

I have a bottle...but never use it for cooking.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a few bottles, but they for getting me lit, not the charcoal!

I stopped using lighter fluid when I discovery the charcoal chimney.

Comment

Not in at least 25 years I think.

Comment

Late as usual. I don't use it anymore because I am not only a chimney snob, but a PROUD chimney snob. So before the covid thing I was at a cousin's house up in Ohio, and he was grilling some burgers and brats. He went and got a big can of lighter fluid to start the coals, and I was just - aghast (see, snob word). Me: what the hell are you doing??? Don't use that crap!!! Him: sit down and shut the... well, just shut up and have another beer, dumb ass (I come from a very loving family). Bottom line, he made some excellent food. But did I learn anything - NO. I bought him a chimney before I left; he told me that now that pot is almost legal in Ohio, he was going to explore using it as a planter.

I am still a proud chimney snob though.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                    Editing a comment
                    If there is one place on earth where drugs should be legal it's Ohio....

I think it was about 1995 or ‘96. Can’t remember exactly.

Comment

BernzOmatic TS8000. I use propane instead of MAP, because I'm a cheap bastard, and I have ditched my chimney because I have found it is just one more useless step in getting my fire going.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                      Editing a comment
                      Cheap bastard? I knew we had something in common!

• Panhead John
                      Panhead John commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Don’t think for a minute y’all got the market cornered on being a cheap bastard.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here