Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rutland Squares are much cheaper than Weber Cubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rutland Squares are much cheaper than Weber Cubes

I felt this deserved more attention given the popularity of Weber cubes. I noticed the Weber cubes are super popular here. I've used them, but these cubes are substantially cheaper and work just as well. Amazon prices the Rutland at 14.8 cents a cube, while the Weber cubes are 21 cents a cube.

https://www.amazon.com/Rutland-50B-Safe-Starter-Squares/dp/B00138MO16/

They are cheaper per square, but I find that I have to use two (stood up like an open book) under the chimney lighter to get the flame high enough to effectively light it. Also, I miss out on the satisfaction of how the Weber cubes start burning the instant the flame touches them.

Edit: my comments above pertain to the Royal Oak brand fire starters, which look identical. I have no experience with Rutland, although I suspect they are very similar.
    Last edited by Steve R.; May 31, 2020, 11:31 PM.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I have to use 2 Weber cubes too! Operator error!

This is what I use. I could make it myself, if I felt like it. But at $17 for 30 of them, it seems perfectly reasonable to buy them. Just a small paper cup, paraffin, and wood shavings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plus the bucket is handy for storing stuff on the workbench after it’s empty

Click image for larger version

Name:	0D55C583-E55D-48C9-8A95-0147ABE1011E.jpeg
Views:	362
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	854868
    Last edited by ecowper; May 31, 2020, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones you can make 'em pretty easy yourself. Wood shavings for hamster or the like, paraffin, those little cup thingies.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      If'n I wasn't so tired/lazy, it would help, but appreciate Th Pro Tip, Brother!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 1, 2020, 12:51 PM.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Reminds me, we usedta make/sell lil Emergency Candles/Heat Source, when I was in Cub Scouts...tuna can, strip of cardboard, paraffin wax....boom

I use Weber cubes in the chimney and Rutland squares when lighting my BGE or a pile of charcoal. Sometimes I use a torch.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 for the torch. Although lighting charcoal this way for a long cook seems like a great example of "hurry up and wait."

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve R. I most often use the torch when I am running behind on time and every minute counts even on a low and show with a late start.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      TurboTorch, brown paper bag, most often, here...
      Mebbe ain't th Best Way, certainly not th Only Way, but it's My Way...works=don't fix it
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 1, 2020, 12:52 PM.

I've used Rutland squares for several years. They work very well and there are 144 of them in a box for $15.44, that's a good deal. They stay in a drawer in the outdoor kitchen. Heat has no affect on then as far as melting or sticking together. They do the job I need them to do quite well, and that's s all I've got to say about that. Ha ha!

Comment

Never used 'em, but what I appreciate about the Weber cubes is that you can cut them in half, and a half cube will light a chimney. And they light when wet. If the Rutlands can do that and are cheaper I'm in.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Cut them in half, WOW!

Mind Blown.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        They do work extremely well, that I'll readily affirm...never thought bought usin 1/2, I actually usually use two, mebbe I been over-doin it.
        Willin to try summat new, especial if it ends up more economical, in th long run.
        Thankee, Aaron!

It would be fairly simple to cut a Rutland in half. I think a small hatchet would be the tool of choice, one chop should do fine. I have not tried them wet, but will soon just to satisfy my curiosity. We all have our stuff we are most comfortable with, the old ford, chevy debate, but this is good product. If you try it I think you'll like it.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Cleaver

I've made my own as shown here, but recently I've just been using a couple of wadded up pieces of notepad paper. Some here don't like the ashes this leaves behind but not a big deal to me personally.

Comment

I use a tuna can with a little alcohol in it. I works great in a cold wood stove chimney on a very cold day.

Comment

Ive started to use an electric charcoal starter for just about everything, i even stick it in my chimney to get it started. I keep weber cubes for just in case moments.

Comment

Cubes, tin cans, newspapers. Step up your game, gentlemen...

Click image for larger version

Name:	giant-lighter-PeterSripol.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	855554

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              lol

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here