Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When the wife's away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the wife's away...

What do you do when the wife is out of town for the weekend? Make fire starters, of course!

Raw materials:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200222_151205.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	806339

Sawdust in trays:

Name:	20200222_151755.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	806340

Melting wax:

Name:	20200222_152509.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	806341

Out of the trays:

Name:	20200222_165535.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	806342

Assembling:

Name:	20200222_165617.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	806343

Nearly 3 dozen:

Name:	20200222_174256.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	806344

Testing:

Name:	20200222_175420.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	806345

Materials used:
    1 lb Gulf wax
    sawdust
    craft paper/lunch bags
    baling twine

The test one burned high (good for chimney starting) for about 10 minutes, and then kept burning for about another 5 or so before finally going out. I did toss them in the freezer for about an hour to speed up the setting process. The test took a second to catch, but that should improve over time as the paper sits in contact with the wax.

Very productive. My wife is visiting in Oregon and all I’ve accomplished is nada.

Comment

I always get in trouble when she is away. It has to do with projects like yours and a failure to clean up after myself. That is a great job, by the way.

Comment

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        I should note that no actual kitchen implements were harmed in this project

Nice project! I thought you were going say that you brought a new smoker home LOL

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh boy. That's the kind of talk that gets a guy sleeping on the couch. How can I flag this for being inappropriate? By the way, my wife is taking a nap right now. I have two windows on the computer open. One is to Amazing Ribs and the other is to Lang Smokers. I'm closing the Lang window as soon as I see her eyes flutter.

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        Heh heh.... we're always here to provide the right kind of encouragement! I will say that trying to sneak a Lang offset into the yard is very ambitious but I don't blame you for thinking big!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Discretion is the better part of valor, tbob4 !

Neat.

Comment

Nice! I either play drums or guitar really loud or eat big pieces of meat when the wife's away. You are definitely more productive than me. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          I can identify. Last night was double pork chops, and tonight was tri-tip. Since she wasn’t here I had to eat her servings too.🙂

• Andrrr
          Andrrr commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee up to 11 for sure

Great project.
        My luck though I would put those starters in the freezer and they would ignite and burn my house down.

That would definitely take some explaining. 😬😳

Comment

Huskee The wife being away usually means knife sharpening day for me. But there is also usually some cranked fender amp action happening.

Comment

I'd be the guy who figured he could get those to work better by adding black powder or kerosene.
            In the resulting explosion....

Comment

• xaugievike
              xaugievike commented
              Editing a comment
              Video? :-)

When my wife is away I sit in my recliner and eat while watching TV.

Just like I do when she is here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here