Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dedicated chimney starter burner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dedicated chimney starter burner?

My son uses his large crawfish and seafood boiler stand to light his Weber chimney. Yeap, works in a flash as shown in the attached photo where he is lighting off a chimney of B&B briquettes. I have also seen folks use their side burner on their gas grill to do the same.

Being a tinkerer with a machine shop at hand, I want to build a dedicated chimney lighting station similar to what my son uses but on a smaller and easier to store scale. One doesn't need a huge burner but something with a smaller propane burner built to hold a chimney would be great. I already have a lightweight aluminum 10 lb refillable propane tank which is easy to move around for the fuel source. (photo att'd)

Anyone seen any go-bys out there or a commercially available unit?

Click image for larger version  Name:	B&B being lit.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.31 MB ID:	795023
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	0 Size:	13.0 KB ID:	795024
    Last edited by Alphonse; January 23, 2020, 01:09 PM.

I haven't seen one at a store. It will be fun to see what you come up with.

Comment

Pretty convenient for sure. I used to use a portable butane stove until I read about the possibility of an explosion since the intense heat is so close to the fuel canister. The problem with using your side burner is it gets messy. You are right that someone should make a commercial product. The should make a small, attractive unit that could be stored in a cupboard in your outdoor kitchen.

Comment

• shify
        shify commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to use the side burner to light my chimney until I got a built in grill without a side burner (being its only use was to light the chimney). I only kept it on for the burner for a min or two to get the bottom coals lit and then moved it to the ground or to the grill grate since you don't need the flame after that

Here is what I use to light my charcoal. I find that high fire works great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	71vX719PBKL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	795040

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I suppose. 😀 Flame thrower or news paper to light your fire? I’ll take the flame thrower. 😅 Like you said man, way more fun to hold a flame thrower. Attjack

• fracmeister
        fracmeister commented
        Editing a comment
        I use those to finish my ribs. Makes for quite the entertainment.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I am sure people love that. fracmeister

I use the sideburner on my gasgrill..

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Also a great option.

One of these .....

...with a little of this ....

Or one of these .....

...work work just fine with a chimney. But hey, I admire your tinkering mind, have fun with your invention !!
      Last edited by Troutman; January 23, 2020, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Alphonse
        Alphonse commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I ordered an air/propane mixing nozzle today to get something started! Now to develop some type of burner tip to get what I want in terms of a flame and heat release.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Or a wad of charcoal bag.

+1 for the gas grill side burner.

Comment

Beer can alcohol stove

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here