Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you start your charcoal chimney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Cubes or a Weed Torch.

Comment

We recently had a holiday party at our office and there are 6 cans of Sterno left over. Coincidentally, I just ran out of my go-to Weber cubes. I'm not trying to be cheap and lazy here but if I could use the Sterno it would save me a trip to Home Depot and last me quite a while. Is there any risk with hazardous fumes or bad taste? I think it's mainly alcohol based, so I thing it would be ok but I wanted to get your take. Thanks!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        No risk. Unless you're cooking as it's lighting, which I'm betting you're not

I was using the charcoal bag but didn’t like the blowing paper ash. I am using the B&B surestart blocks now though I am curious about the Weber cubes. What I really need is something to accelerate the heating process. Charcoal, in my opinion, takes too long to start for anything other than smoking.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Hairdryer is the easiest way. Weed blower works too but it’s bulky. There’s a specific gizmo called the BBQ Dragon you could buy as well, but I’ve never personally used it

• SparkDog
        SparkDog commented
        Editing a comment
        TNPIGBBQ After reading through the posts, I went and purchased the Harbor Freight heat gun. The hair dryer is a good idea since, after the the coals ignite, they do the same thing and I think I have one in a closet somewhere

Liquid Oxygen of course. Who wants to wait around?

Comment

Very carefully? Winner winner chicken dinner!

Comment

I keep the paper towels I use to drain bacon with (or that I use to clean oil from a frying pan). I used to do canola or similar in a paper towel but now I find just keeping the existing oil is good. I also keep the brown paper I use to wrap brisket with to start the many log fires I have in the fire pit for the grands.

That oil makes the paper burn plenty hot and it just seems "right" to not throw away any fat...

Comment

Don’t use mine too often, but when I do I use the same method as lump. A blowtorch and my hand crank blower OR the cheapo harbor freight heat gun. The heat gun is fantastic, it is both a torch and a blower. It’ll whip up a blaze fast. Heat from the bottom. The torch takes longer but I don’t have to go in the garage, get the heat gun, go back outside, plug it in, the plug is never where I want it so that means going back for the extension cord....

but once coals are hot convection begins. The hotter the coals get the more air is pulled in. It doesn’t take very long.

Comment

If I'm in the mood to take things slow and easy I will use crumpled Kingsford bags. They are 3 layers, so I peel them apart and wad the loose balls in the chimney. Most times though if I'm being honest, I use Weber starter cubes. Them babies are fantastic. You can cut them in half w/ a knife and 1/2 will light a chimney. At $4/box I find them invaluable. They even work when wet. I take them to fish camp and use them to start bonfires. No more dangerous gas to light bonfires (unless I wanna play). My dad bought the wood biscuit starters (brand I can't remember) for bonfire starting and he liked my Weber cubes much better, as did I.

Comment

Anyone have experience with the FOGO fire starters? ‘Fogostarters’
                NEW PRODUCT LAUNCH: will start shipping on Sep 28 All Natural fire starter: made from sustainably harvested Aspen wood and all natural vegetable wax Lights easy with only a match even when damp Burns hot and long thanks to it's unique design that promotes airflow and funnels oxygen to the flame to light and grow the

Comment

I use a TS8000 MAPP torch. Works every time. And the tanks last for months.

Comment

• Craigar
                    Craigar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ditto for me and I have quit using the chimney altogether.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I only use the chimney to fire up the PBC. Craigar

Homemade lighter made from large cotton ball and paraffin wax. Use it to light my charcoal chimney starter. No mess no clean up. Burns clean and complete.

Comment

I have always wondered what to do with used coffee grounds. These are kind of speedy but look like they would be very easy to make a batch of after saving the grounds for a while.

Comment

Having used cubes, tumbleweeds, paper ect. For my chimney,,nothing makes me happier than using my cheapo hand torch. The angle works perfect for the openings, and only takes a minute or two to get things hot enough to be self sustaining.
                      Besides, who doesnt like using fire to make more fire?

Comment

Weber cubes or the tumbleweeds for me. Work great.

Comment

I usually use my benzomatic torch with propane. The Weber starter cubes work well too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here