Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you start your charcoal chimney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The gas start on my Performer

Comment

Part of the bag...Easy Peasy.

Comment

Originally posted by fracmeister View Post
        Paper towels used that wiped grease of something. I keep a Ziploc of them in the outdoor fridge. Recycle baby!
        Yep. great idea. Keep those bacon towels and use em!

Comment

Weber Cubes, works every time.

Comment

Newspaper with a paper towel tube stuck in the middle. Charcoal lights in no time

Comment

I use either newspaper or tumbleweeds. Newspaper is quicker. I tear the paper in half, and half again, and again, and again until I have thin strips. If you hold it in one hand it's like a pom-pom, so I shake it and cheer for the grill angels, then crumble, stuff, and light. Sure is fun!

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                You’re easily entertained…….😂

• DTro
                DTro commented
                Editing a comment
                Panhead John Yep. Easily entertained. Bet you're gonna try it now. 😄

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Damn straight I am!

Newspapers

Comment

I like egg cartons. A bit harder to light than newspaper, but they burn as lot longer

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220501_205703.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1215041 picked up a few bags of these at Lowes for 6 bucks a piece...
                  works for me...

Comment

Weber Performer gas flame. Tumbleweeds as a back up.

Comment

Newspapers.

Comment

On my Performer I use the gas ignition, as I've said before. However, on the other grills, I had been using Weber starter cubes or Royal Oak tumbleweeds, but had trouble finding them in stock at times the past year. I recently filled a small mason jar with cotton balls and isopropyl alcohol from the bathroom cabinet, and guess what? Those work BETTER than the starter cubes or tumbleweeds! They burn higher and longer, and have been great for starting fires in a chimney or in my kamado over the past several months.

Comment

• Steve R.
                          Steve R. commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Panhead John, Tumbleweeds are the store-bought stuff I have now. Works great, but I'm always on the lookout for a cheaper alternative that also works great.

• jfmorris
                          jfmorris commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Panhead John and Steve R. I used the cotton ball and alcohol hack after running out of Tumbleweeds, and finding that Lowe's had neither those nor the Weber starter cubes in stock. I think in the long run its cheaper than the Tumbleweeds, and certainly works in a pinch.

• Panhead John
                          Panhead John commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I might just give that a shot then. Thanks

paper towel I used to wipe grease up from frying pans. I keep them in a 1 gallon ziploc in the outdoor kitchen fridge. If I am out i add a bit of canola to a paper towel and squeeze it to distribute. never fails.

Comment

Cotton balls soaked in 91% isopropyl alcohol. I keep a pint mason jar of them in garage.

Comment

Melt brand "Fire Starters" pressed wax n saw dust. A little slot in an empty tuna tin under some crumpled paper in the bottom of the chimney. Stand a corner in the tin. If it is a windy day a bit of grease on the crumple. Appx 10 cents ea @ $15 for 160 of them. I think Huskee turned me on to them. Don’t quote

Comment

• Huskee
                              Huskee commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yep! But the genius tuna can thing was LA Pork Butt

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here