Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My homemade firestarters (DIY)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HotSun
    commented on 's reply
    texastweeter , that will be the next batch, since I had already tossed my last egg carton. The paper in the carton burns a little faster and easier than the cups, though I have about a 1000 of these little cups. I like DTro 's idea of the little paper condiment cups, too.

• HotSun
    commented on 's reply
    DTro , I was thinking of doing this method, but I don't like our lint because of the polyester and nylon from our clothes. I've also seen lint and petroleum jelly firestarters. That's the beauty of making these, lots of options for materials.

• Allon
    commented on 's reply
    Just don't burn yourself out of a hobby...

• texastweeter
    replied
    You can also use cardboard egg cartons with each section cut out. Some people use dryer lint instead of sawdust. Paraffin wax is cheap too.

Leave a comment:

• DTro
    replied
    I have made these before using dryer lint and wax. You can shape the lint into a wick. I melt old candles in a pot and pour the wax into the small ketchup cups you get at a fast food restaurant. Throw a couple match heads in each cup for an extra boost.

Leave a comment:

• HotSun
    commented on 's reply
    You're taking all the fun out of DIY'ing haha.

• Alan Brice
    replied
    Melt brand firestarters! If I remem correctly,
    150 for $15. Work great. Pre cut packed in cellophane.

Leave a comment:

• bmillin
    commented on 's reply
    Not a bad idea, did not think of that. I'll give it a try next time.

• HotSun
    replied
    Originally posted by Bbqmikeg View Post
    Just thinking, how about using pellets if sawdust isn’t available?
    I bet you could melt a whole candle at once if you got the kind in glass and boiled it.
    Well, Bbqmikeg , I have a long answer to this question. Here is how I get my sawdust. I switched my cat's litter to pine pellets I get from Tractor Supply (horse bedding, but works great as litter and is hella cheap) last year, but I like to have some sawdust around for absorbing things. I just get some pellets wet, which breaks them down to dust. Long story short, I have a big bag of sawdust, which is really just de-pelletized wood pellets, so I am using pellets in a way.

I also have some hardwood pellets designed for pellet stoves (but no other use for them), which I will probably use for making these. Maybe I will just try pouring wax on some and see what happens. It's all flammable, so it probably does not matter.

I do have some candles in glass, but I have a lot of old tapers I should get rid of first.

Leave a comment:

• HotSun
    commented on 's reply
    Haha, I'm too lazy to grab the veggie oil and paper towels. I'm too cheap to buy little tumbleweed starters, or whatever the kids are using these days.

• Bbqmikeg
    replied
    Just thinking, how about using pellets if sawdust isn’t available?
    I bet you could melt a whole candle at once if you got the kind in glass and boiled it.

Leave a comment:

• tstalafuse
    replied
    That sounds cool and relaxing, but I am way too lazy (emphasis on lazy). A couple of paper towels soaked in veggie oil is faster and more my speed.

Leave a comment:

• bmillin
    replied
    I did something similar with wood chips & coils of cardboard in paper egg crates. Melted parrain in a double boiler and poured it in. Works great for the wood stove and the chimney.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Thanks, fer sharing!

Leave a comment:

• HotSun
    commented on 's reply
    The paper is the wick. I just light the edge and it burns down to ignite the paraffin/wood mix. I've never made these before, just following some ideas I found on the interwebs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here