Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My homemade firestarters (DIY)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My homemade firestarters (DIY)

As if I don't have enough going on in my life, I decided to make these last night:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221013_191133489.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1308605

I have plenty of sawdust, candles that haven't been used in over a decade, and lots of little paper cups. When smoking low and slow, I wanted an easier way to start charcoal.
    1. Put 1 tablespoon of sawdust in the cup
    2. Lit the candle and dripped wax until the sawdust was mostly soaked
    3. Let it cool
    4. Stacked them up for storage
    Making these was very relaxing, waiting for the wax to drip into the cups. I'll just make these in the future as a zen exercise. If I really want to get serious, I'll get out the double-boiler/bain marie and crank them out in volume.

I tried one this morning and it burned for about 8 minutes, with almost no smoke once the paper burned. It should work for my purposes. I will use egg cartons in the future, but I had already stomped on my last one. I will give these a try in my Solo Stove, maybe this weekend.

Cool. Do you have a wick of any type in them?

Comment

• HotSun
      HotSun commented
      Editing a comment
      The paper is the wick. I just light the edge and it burns down to ignite the paraffin/wood mix. I've never made these before, just following some ideas I found on the interwebs.

Ingenious!

Comment

Thanks, fer sharing!

Comment

I did something similar with wood chips & coils of cardboard in paper egg crates. Melted parrain in a double boiler and poured it in. Works great for the wood stove and the chimney.

Comment

That sounds cool and relaxing, but I am way too lazy (emphasis on lazy). A couple of paper towels soaked in veggie oil is faster and more my speed.

Comment

• HotSun
            HotSun commented
            Editing a comment
            Haha, I'm too lazy to grab the veggie oil and paper towels. I'm too cheap to buy little tumbleweed starters, or whatever the kids are using these days.

Just thinking, how about using pellets if sawdust isn’t available?
          I bet you could melt a whole candle at once if you got the kind in glass and boiled it.

Comment

• bmillin
            bmillin commented
            Editing a comment
            Not a bad idea, did not think of that. I'll give it a try next time.

Originally posted by Bbqmikeg View Post
          Just thinking, how about using pellets if sawdust isn’t available?
          I bet you could melt a whole candle at once if you got the kind in glass and boiled it.
          Well, Bbqmikeg , I have a long answer to this question. Here is how I get my sawdust. I switched my cat's litter to pine pellets I get from Tractor Supply (horse bedding, but works great as litter and is hella cheap) last year, but I like to have some sawdust around for absorbing things. I just get some pellets wet, which breaks them down to dust. Long story short, I have a big bag of sawdust, which is really just de-pelletized wood pellets, so I am using pellets in a way.

I also have some hardwood pellets designed for pellet stoves (but no other use for them), which I will probably use for making these. Maybe I will just try pouring wax on some and see what happens. It's all flammable, so it probably does not matter.

I do have some candles in glass, but I have a lot of old tapers I should get rid of first.

Comment

• Allon
            Allon commented
            Editing a comment
            Just don't burn yourself out of a hobby...

Melt brand firestarters! If I remem correctly,
          150 for $15. Work great. Pre cut packed in cellophane.

Comment

• HotSun
            HotSun commented
            Editing a comment
            You're taking all the fun out of DIY'ing haha.

I have made these before using dryer lint and wax. You can shape the lint into a wick. I melt old candles in a pot and pour the wax into the small ketchup cups you get at a fast food restaurant. Throw a couple match heads in each cup for an extra boost.

Comment

• HotSun
            HotSun commented
            Editing a comment
            DTro , I was thinking of doing this method, but I don't like our lint because of the polyester and nylon from our clothes. I've also seen lint and petroleum jelly firestarters. That's the beauty of making these, lots of options for materials.

You can also use cardboard egg cartons with each section cut out. Some people use dryer lint instead of sawdust. Paraffin wax is cheap too.

Comment

• HotSun
            HotSun commented
            Editing a comment
            texastweeter , that will be the next batch, since I had already tossed my last egg carton. The paper in the carton burns a little faster and easier than the cups, though I have about a 1000 of these little cups. I like DTro 's idea of the little paper condiment cups, too.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here