Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My homemade firestarters (DIY)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WayneT
    replied
    Ingenious!

Leave a comment:

• holehogg
    replied
    Cool. Do you have a wick of any type in them?

Leave a comment:

• HotSun
    started a topic My homemade firestarters (DIY)

My homemade firestarters (DIY)

As if I don't have enough going on in my life, I decided to make these last night:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221013_191133489.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1308605

I have plenty of sawdust, candles that haven't been used in over a decade, and lots of little paper cups. When smoking low and slow, I wanted an easier way to start charcoal.
    1. Put 1 tablespoon of sawdust in the cup
    2. Lit the candle and dripped wax until the sawdust was mostly soaked
    3. Let it cool
    4. Stacked them up for storage
    Making these was very relaxing, waiting for the wax to drip into the cups. I'll just make these in the future as a zen exercise. If I really want to get serious, I'll get out the double-boiler/bain marie and crank them out in volume.

I tried one this morning and it burned for about 8 minutes, with almost no smoke once the paper burned. It should work for my purposes. I will use egg cartons in the future, but I had already stomped on my last one. I will give these a try in my Solo Stove, maybe this weekend.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here