Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Highly recommended fire starters from Melt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highly recommended fire starters from Melt

I bought these back in January on a whimj ust to try out. I LOVE them. I now use them over the Weber cubes which had been my favorites. If you use 1 you have 160 starters for <$15 (on sale currently). I use 2 just because, and well, that's still 80 uses. Heckuva deal.

They remind me of small, stale, soft graham crackers. They are of course compressed cardboard-like sawdust with a little paraffin wax. They break/rip easy and there's usually a rough break so the edges light easy, even with one of those electric lighters.

They burn about 7 or 8 minutes, maybe longer. Close to a Weber cube's burn length, but when they're gone they're gone- there's no burnt husk left like with a cube.

From the Melt Candle Company, the makers of Tumbleweeds. Give 'em a go, I bet you'll like 'em too.

$14.44 - Link: https://www.amazon.com/Melt-Candle-C...mazingribs--20

Click image for larger version  Name:	Melt fire starters.jpg Views:	21 Size:	405.1 KB ID:	1219254

I guess they melt in the fire not in your hand?

Comment

I don't use that brand but mine are similar and I also love them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-10 031944.png
Views:	517
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	1219259

Comment

• Mark V
        Mark V commented
        Editing a comment
        I use Masterbuilt and they are also similar, I also like this type of firestarter. Best of all for me, the Masterbuilts are available in my local Walmart, I haven't seen these other brands here. One thing I have found is they don't light up completely quite as fast as a Weber cube, but a kitchen torch helps with that.

Wok burner under the chimney works a treat if it's available

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Lots of ways to light a chimney. For occasions where you can't do that- such as when lighting a pile of coals inside a Slow 'N Sear, or when otherwise not using a chimney or not having access to a burner, these are great.

Unlike the Weber cubes, you are much better off lighting these before putting charcoal on top of them. First couple of times I used them, I was ready to pitch the rest of the box straight into the trash. Once I learned the trick, they work great.

Comment

I have been working on my original box of Rutland squares for a while and I agree the design and overall concept is great. It looks like a lot more square type firestarters are available now so I’d be happy to give Melt a shot for my next box.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I have zero complaints about these for what it's worth. I am very impressed. I haven't tested their water resistant claim though.

How do you like these with the Masterbuilt gravity feed? I really like Tumbleweeds, but a lot of times they are too fat to fit in the charcoal grate.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          I tried the Weber cubes for a while. They worked fine in terms of lighting but created a massive mess. The dust as someone else mentioned plus basically having to break them into little bits to fit.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I use Fatwood sticks with my Gravity, they just work too darn good for me to use other stuff.

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee, I find the fatwood sticks put off too much dirty black smoke for my liking. It doesn't matter much when lighting charcoal in any other situation, but I follow the MB lighting instructions and close it up and let the fan do the work once the lighter is fully lit. It's probably fine, but I can't get past that in my mind.

I have used those and they are quick starters compared to Rutland starters. They are more brittle and smaller than Rutland, but also less expensive. I use an old tuna can to start them with a chimney.

Name:	F1016A38-72CB-44FE-B61A-452E6ADB14E8.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	1219334

Name:	103B2BF4-3EF3-4DC6-B289-2AA95E60CC7B.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	1219335

Comment

• MsTwiggy
          MsTwiggy commented
          Editing a comment
          Innovator!!!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I like it! When using a non-Weber I just set it in the chimney's basket but as we all know you can't with Weber's chimneys.

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a really cool trick.

Name:	image_174274.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1219344they look very similar to the ones I've been using from Lowes...
        similar price point as well, so may give these a go if Lowes is ever out of stock

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, those look quite a bit thicker though. These are thinner. Otherwise same thing.

Huskee Are these cleaner than the Weber cubes? What I mean is, with Weber cubes there is always little bits of wax that fly everywhere when popping them out of the package.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          I have never noticed any dust/crumbles with the Rutland squares.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, there's none of that. You might get a little dust or maybe some crumbs from breaking them apart, but nowhere near the waste as with cubes. Much less packaging waste too.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Hold them over the chimney or cooker when popping them out of the package. Nothing to clean up that way.

Kathryn

Thanks for the suggestion. I have two Weber cubes left and I was just gonna order some more. I’ll try these instead.

Comment

I've been using Tumbleweeds lately to light my charcoal and like them a lot. I just might give the "graham cracker" style fire starters a try the next time I order up some fire starters.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I have some Tumbleweeds but haven't used 'em yet. I liked these so much I kept going straight to them. I love how handy they are for me personally. The box is about as big as a thick encyclopedia and there's 160 of those buggers in there. Less packaging waste and storage room needed than the Weber cubes. Although the cubes will still light when soaking wet, so they are still in my rotation for their strengths.

Thanks Huskee , I ordered some to try out.

Comment

Thanks Huskee I am in.

Comment

Thanks, I was just about to order new Weber cubes as well - 2 boxes of these will be at the house tonight!

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Let me know what you think.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here