Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B&B Competition Oak briquettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B&B Competition Oak briquettes

This has kind of been covered here and there within various discussions of charcoal. But I'm wondering if anyone has found a halfway reliable source for this particular variety of B&B briquettes. I have seen a bag or two at Ace Hardware, but they want $13+ for 17.6 lbs. I stumbled across some at Academy a few weeks ago for $8 and change and ordered those online for in-store pickup, but I suspect that they got them confused with the regular oak briquettes and upgraded me. I ordered based on the description and pic on the left, but then the confirmation email for my order showed the description and pic on the right. Then when I got there, I had Competition Oak waiting for me.

The packaging for the Competition Oak and Oak are very similar, so even the pics that stores like Ace and Academy use online aren't reliable. Google is no help at all with this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	competition oak.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.8 KB ID:	997071Click image for larger version  Name:	oak.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.4 KB ID:	997072
    Last edited by Steve R.; February 28, 2021, 06:37 PM.

Funny, I’ve been using B&B briqs for a few years, off and on. Never even noticed a difference. I’ve always gotten the orange bag and the briqs are always square and bigger than my usual RO Prem bagged briq.
    Last edited by au4stree; February 28, 2021, 06:00 PM. Reason: Edited to add: I’ve only ever gotten b&b @ academy.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I would love to find out that the only difference is $5.

I never knew there were two kinds of B&B briquettes. I buy them from Ace.

Comment

Steve R. there is only one type of B&B oak briquette based on their website, and the newest bags appear to say competition on them - probably to match their competition char logs. Probably same sku, new printing on the bag.

Comment

Steve R. I just looked at the 3 bags I have in the garage and they are all 'competition'. All came from Academy for $8.99 each.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          That's where I tend to find it at that price. But there is no way to know if they have any without actually going to the store to see for myself. It never shows up on the website at all, at least not in my area. Unless it's true that the bag is the only difference.
          Last edited by Steve R.; March 1, 2021, 08:32 AM.

• Clark
          Clark commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve R. I found out that they get their trucks in on Sunday nite late, Tues. nite, late, and Thurs. nite late. The next morning you can usually find everything in stock. (Found this out re ammo supplies)

I found these once at my Ace but never again. Nearest one that says it has it is in DC!

Comment

I discovered this weekend that using the B&B oak briquettes for a low and slow setup in my 26" kettle w/ XL SnS makes it behave like a 22" w/ normal sized SnS and KBB. Same number of lit briquettes to start out, same burn time, etc. So, now I must have more. As a dedicated charcoal hoarder, it's a challenge to maintain a good supply of this stuff.
          Last edited by Steve R.; March 28, 2021, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here