Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jealous Devil Maxxx...disappointed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jealous Devil Maxxx...disappointed

This was my first time using any kind of jealous devil just FYI.

Firstly, the briquettes themselves felt light for the size, almost like they just added air to make a larger size. Second, i got maybe 2-2.5 hours out of a full SnS load. Albeit it was about 28 degrees with a bit of a breeze but this still seems short. Thirdly, the little that was left after i shut it down (was doing a pre-smoke on some oxtails before putting them into braise) all fragmented into small pieces mostly small enough to fall through or further crumble when cleaning up the next day.

Anyone had a similar experience? Maybe it was just a bad run on a cold day?

- Man I am sorry to hear that. I have not had that experience yet. I am liking the JD briqs just as much as B&B briqs.
    - I am sitting on 24 bags of JD that were mis-priced at the commissary to begin with ($4.99) and brought this to the attention of the cashier who gave me the death stare and then informed me they were a BOGO. Made out like a bandit.
    - I will let you know if I run into anything like you descibe.
    BREAK BREAK
    - Never have had an issue with JD lump either it's not my fave but inthe top 4.

Comment

I have only used the Maxx briquettes a couple times and never for low and slow. They did seem to burn hotter than Kingsford or Weber briquettes when I had them cranking for some chicken thighs. I also noticed they seemed light for their size compared to others. And it has been a while but I vaguely remember them crumbling easily after the cook rather than holding their shape to be used again.

I still have a bag in the shed I need to try again on a low and slow cook. I liked them for hot and fast cooking but don't think the cost is worth it compared to the other stuff that is out there.

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        So far i def agree on the price point not being worth it. I only got them because amazon had them on sale for 24 bucks for 20lbs so i figured i would give it a shot.

I have a rack of ribs on with it right now as a second test so we will see. This time the weather is slightly warmer and no wind.

Don't feel too bad, the Devil has been causing disappointment for a long time! ;-)

Comment

Sounds like the Devil to me.

Comment

Wow! My shortest burn time in the SNS at 225F for smoking so far has been Royal Oak briquettes, at 4-5 hours per load. And those are about the cheapest briquettes you can find, versus the most expensive like these JD Maxx. Hardwood charcoal like Weber or B&B lasts more like 10-12 hours for me per load in the SNS.

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, i was really surprised. Its definitely running better right now with the ribs so im going to chalk part of it up to the wind on the last cook. But i can already tell when i opened the grill to wrap the ribs that its not going to get anywhere near 10-12 hours. My best estimate would be around 6-7 hours tops. I will update when its done. I think ill let it keep going until it burns to the end. Ive got my signals on it so i can track the temp and time.

grantgallagher that thievery I mentioned above were 32lb bags at the commissary. At the NEX a mile away they were $27 a bag and no mention of a BOGO.
          Primarily using in a PKO and a Hastybske Gourmet. Have not used it in the kettle yet.
          Last edited by tiewunon; January 25, 2021, 02:11 PM.

Comment

jfmorris JoeSousa this what was left after 6 hours of ambient temp 38 degrees, no wind, running at 250 with signals and billows. And i have a gasket on the kettle too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D60A863D-5388-49D9-94F4-3B2AA7D3DA07.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.73 MB ID:	980190
            Last edited by grantgallagher; January 25, 2021, 05:50 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah - that is pretty poor burn time. I'll have to say this charcoal is a hard pass for smoking in my book. Weber briquettes were big and DENSE and burned 12+ hours in the SNS. B&B was a close second at about 10 hours for me, with a temp controller.
              Last edited by jfmorris; January 25, 2021, 08:50 PM.

I used FOGO when testing the Masterbuilt Gravity and I got a lot less time as well. Larger lighter (airy) pieces have more air spaces between the pieces too and less total mass in a given volume (a larger version of the kosher vs table salt concept) so it makes sense we'd get less runtime.

Comment

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              Totally agree with the above, makes complete logical sense but they advertise them as "The same incredibly dense hardwood we use to make our lump charcoal – plus a pinch of plant-derived starch (that is it – Yes, really). We compress it into the biggest pillow briq on the market for the longest burn time on the market – and put it in a cool waterproof resealable bag."

Hence the disappointment.

UPDATE: I did another cook today with them. 50 degrees, no wind. Much better results. Im thinking its possible they just really dont like cold weather. Either that or i got a couple of bad bags. When i bought them it was a sale on amazon, 20lbs (2 10lb bags) and bought two of them. This was the first bag from the second double.

Either way, im much more satisfied with the results this time around. I will continue to work my way through the remaining stock and keep recording results.

Comment

grantgallagher , did ya try askin em what they thought of the cold? That would take the guess work out of things, yessir.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                FireMan they kinda just stared at me with a dark, blank expression. Im guessing they didnt love it.

After trying several "premium" lump brands I’m having a hard time beating good old B&B Hardwood lump, at half the price or less around here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here