Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jealous Devil Lump Charcoal backyard cooks in the WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troutman
    replied
    I've cooked on WSMs for quite a few years and never had any good luck with lump charcoal. Yes if you want to blast away with high heat that's the way to go, but it burns too unevenly and is hard to control at low temps. My only advice is charcoal and wood chunks buried in those coals. I can dial mine between 225-275* easily that way. I don't believe they were ever designed to cook hot and fast and certainly with lump. That's been my experience anyway, good luck.

Leave a comment:

• tiewunon
    replied
    I do not have a WSM anymore. However I have used JD in all my Kamado's. Do not recall any issues holding or maintaining temps in the 225-250°F range.
    Out of all the lump charcoal I can source locally around me its in my top tier of wants when I can get my hands on it.
    I am sure some WSM guys will be along shortly.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff J
    started a topic Jealous Devil Lump Charcoal backyard cooks in the WSM

Jealous Devil Lump Charcoal backyard cooks in the WSM

Would like to know other backyard Qr's opinions and results using this fuel particularly in their WSM cooks.I had great results on Turkey week(end) maintaining a 325 degree temp for an apple brined fresh whole turkey for three hours but can't get it to level off at low temps (225) for a long pork spare ribs slow cook.After three hours of manipulating the charcoal and wood chunks the temp was always spiking to high.The whole Spare Rib slab is now crutched in butcher's paper and in a 225 degree oven.
    Please share your experience.

Thank you,J

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here