Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B&B Charcoal briquettes - Flavor profile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B&B Charcoal briquettes - Flavor profile?

As I've used more and more different brands of briquettes (and lump, but that's a separate topic) I am noticing differences in quality. I am OK with variables such as amount of ash, temperature variances, burn time, etc. The one area that is always of biggest concern to me is the flavor profile that certain brands of briquettes produce. For example, I've found "Embers" to be a bit off-putting. When I find it cheap I buy it and use it as kindling in my OKJ stick burner - it works fine in that capacity. Right now charcoal, especially at an attractive price, is hard to come by in Michigan. I recently purchased an orange bag of B&B briquettes. I found a Youtube video comparing it against 3 other brands of briquettes. Like Weber briquettes it burned longer than it's competitors. My concern is flavor profile. How clean does it burn? What kind of flavor profile does it have?

I've noticed no flavor from them to speak of and they do burn for quite a while.

Comment

I really don't notice any kind of flavor with them as well, I don't even notice a different kind of smell that I get with Kingsford. Not saying the Kingsford smell is bad, it's just a unique odor that I notice when it is burning. I can't really tell on the food which one was used, I just use the B&B when I need extra time and/or heat.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        I brought Kingsford briquettes for the first time and yes there seems to be a funk that comes off them burning, I likened it to Vaseline.
        Would not buy them again.

Jeff if you ever find any in MI especially if it's at a box store please let me know. I've been wanting to try a bag based on Jerod's fondness but I never see it.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Dadof3Illinois Thank you for the offer, but that's ok. I have plenty of Kford, I'll just wait until I can find them locally.

• frailinryan
        frailinryan commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee I just got a couple of bags of B&B briquettes at my local ACE today. They also have B&B oak lump too.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        frailinryan Thanks Ryan, that's a good sign, maybe they'll be in the Clare Ace now.

I like the Orange bag B&B Briquettes. The flavor profile is neutral IMO.

Comment

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        That's good to know. Thank you.

If by "orange bag" you mean labeled Competition Oak, then I agree. Clean, long burning, without smell. I buy mine at Ace Hdwe.
      It is usually $13.99 for 18 lb. bag.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with this. I recently bought my first bag of "orange bag" and tried it last night for a long overnight cook. Long-burning for sure, but I wish I knew just how much more mileage I can get than KBB. Even at a bit higher cost, I think it might be worth it to go the B&B route, based on longer burn time.

I found it once, at Ace, but haven't seen it since. I liked it.

Comment

I have been on the B&B briq train about 4 years. Nuetral smell and less smoke at lighting. Also like their charlogs.
        I get it at Ace and every once in a while I see it at Kroger.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          I wish I could find more of their char logs!! Love them for longer cooks, can be a bit of a pain to light but nothing a couple briquettes can't handle.

• tiewunon
          tiewunon commented
          Editing a comment
          Dadof3Illinois you bet concerning charlogs can't be beat at $19.99 a bag. My other go to long burn briqs are Blazing Coconut Logs 20lbs for $25.99 at Amazon Prime or Napoleon Coconut Briqs at Amazon Prime 25lbs for $31. Even denser and about same difficulty to light.

Burnt plenty orange bag, cain’t recall encounterin any negatives

Comment

It is OKAY as long as it is paired with PBR.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm pretty sure everything is okay as long as it is paired with PBR

I really like B&B briquettes in the orange bag. I bought my last batch at ACE. Recently though (last couple of months) it seems that every time I try ACE to purchase again they say "unavailable" for pickup, delivery to store, or home delivery. Odd since the B&B site specifically steers you to ACE to buy their product.

I don't know if B&B's production is offline or can't keep up with demand. Or if ACE is balking at it for some reason.

Comment

• tiewunon
            tiewunon commented
            Editing a comment
            It is funny you say that. I have a friend in Galax Va who runs into the same problem. Me here in Va Beach I can get it (B&B briqs) easily at one Ace store in Chesapeake Va. All other stores near by never have it in stock but always have B&B lump.

• Arsenlael
            Arsenlael commented
            Editing a comment
            I decided to email B&B about this. I'll update if I get a response from them.

• DonQ
            DonQ commented
            Editing a comment
            My Ace here in western Connecticut just started carrying it again after being 'unavailable' for months.

I have had the exact same issue as Arsenlael for some time now. I mentioned it to B&B on their FB page, asked when it might become available again, and got this reply today:

Hello Jeff, you are not the only one in this certain predicament. There has been tremendous demand on all charcoal products, and we have increased our production up 40%! However, demand is up almost 60% and it is difficult to catch up. Ace is buying more products from B&B than ever before so they would be the best option at this point. I am not sure why you can’t buy it online from Ace. They are receiving truckloads of B&B every week. Academy Sports sales are also up. Do you have an Academy near you?
          Double checked this morning, and Ace’s website still says it’s not available, even to be shipped. Pretty weird, if they are in fact "receiving truckloads".

Comment

The B&B orange bag has become my go-to for my PBC after trying just about everything! It burns clean and long. Truly great stuff. The only other brand I'll use any more is Jealous Devil.

Comment

I've used it a couple of times now and really like it. It burns hot and long and it burns clean. I'll definitely be acquiring more.

Comment

FishTalesNC yes I received the same reply. They did include the below graphic for other places that carry B&B in case it helps anyone track it down.
                Attached Files

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                  FishTalesNC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep, same for me... none of those other joints are around here now since the Kroger’s closed up.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here