Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime 6 Charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime 6 Charcoal

Has anyone tried this charcoal before? They are a relatively new company that was featured on Shark Tank tonight.

Prime 6 High performing sustainable products for grilling and outdoors. Charcoal, Wood Logs and Fire Starters 100% natural and chemical free.

I'm now watching Shark Tank.

Comment

give it a try and let us know what you think.

Comment

It was really interesting. I was left with a lot of questions. I have burned madrone which is really hot and leaves very little ash. I found it to burn fast, as well. This charcoal promises to burn hot, clean and they claim it burns longer than comparable charcoal. I wasn’t keen on the fact it made from sawdust. I won’t be the first to buy it but I will be curious to read about what others here think about it. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I saw that too. I guess I’m skeptical of their 9 pound pack being equivalent to a 30 pound bag of charcoal.

Comment

TNPIGBBQ How similar is this to your Black Bear Charcoal? Looks very similar. Is the process the same?

Comment

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought the same thing JoeSousa . Those black bear coconut hex logs burned forever for me so i could see 9lb coming close to 30lb of reg old kingsford

• JoeSousa
              JoeSousa commented
              Editing a comment
              grantgallagher I still need to open my box and get some burning. Got a nice bavette on the menu for Monday so that might just be the day.

• TNPIGBBQ
              TNPIGBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s similar. From the description it sounds identical to Charblox.

It’s sawdust instead of coconut shells (which I decided against for a reason), but without knowing more about their process & raw materials sourcing. I couldn’t say any further, probably good stuff though.

The big competitor (bigger than me) I think is the weakest & ironically also makes the boldest marketing claims. Is still very very good compared to KBB etc

I’d try it out but I already got a warehouse full LOL

I just watched the Shark Tank episode on this. Wifey had it DVR’d. If what they say about burn time, etc. is true, it could be worth it. I am anxious to read follow up here on it. Otherwise, too pricey for me.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
              TNPIGBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I haven’t used theirs, but I sell a very similar product. Between the size of the briquettes & higher quality (where I and others and presumably these guys source from they wouldn’t find Kingsford/RO acceptable). Most of their claims are probably true. Mine for example will burn for over 4 hours as well.

Big thing I tell price sensitive people is throwing one hex log (mine) in with your regular charcoal will greatly improve burn time/heat. You don’t have to use half the box every cook

Bought a box back in November after watching Shark Tank. They light easy in a chimney and burn hot for 6-8 hours. I also was able to put them in a metal garbage can with a lid after burning for 2-3 hours and they extinguished with the lack of oxygen. Was able to use them again the next day. Overall really impressed with how they perform. We cook outside a lot and one box lasted me about as long as 100lbs of BnB Lump Charcoal would.

I'm a stick burner in both my Offset Pit and my Santa Maria Grill and use these as a base under my wood splits and am very happy with them. I just ordered two more 22lb boxes from Walmart (44.99\box).

Comment

Interesting. Prime 6 seems legit. I'm wondering how/if it would work well for low and slow, with wood chips. In other words, how well can you control the heat and would it burn your smoking chips up too fast (I'm a BGE guy)...
              If anyone has tried this for slow cooks, please chime in. Otherwise, I will when I have a chance to test it out.

Comment

i used it for the first time in a HB and i was pleasantly surprised at how consistent i was able to dial-in temps and how long it lasted. Also have an egg and i think temp control is pretty straight forward so can't imagine that woudl be an issue. I put it on top of lump and lit the lump so not sure how easy it is to light on its own. did not seem to put off more ash than usual. hope that helps.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here