Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber charcoal - WOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber charcoal - WOW!

I just recently got my hands on 10 bags of Weber briquettes. My standby for the past few years has been KBB and that is all I'm used to. I decided to try with Weber briquettes when smoking short ribs in my WSM this past weekend. What a difference! No nasty odor when they light up, much less ash, and maybe more importantly, they seemed to burn slower because I burned WAY less briquettes for this 9+ hour cook than I have ever done for a similar cook with KBB. I think I may try to go get some more before stock is completely gone.

I've got a pretty good stockpile from some BOGO sales. I'm going to miss it when it's gone as it's my favorite for low and slow but even though it's going away I still can't justify coughing up $20/bag

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Sold out around here but some opportunist has it for $35/bag online.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Ouch!

I have a tough time lighting Weber briquettes--they take forever to ash over in the chimney, and I get impatient. So I start the cook lighting KBB in the chimney to pour over the Weber. It's my go-to for long cooks as well.

Kathryn

Comment

I cant find them anywhere anymore. So sad. And im not paying 35 bucks a bag.

Comment

Yep, Weber has been my go-to for overnight cooks for a few years now - still got a couple bags left, and I reserve it ONLY for overnight cooks in the kettle+SNS, where I can get 12+ hours on a load of that stuff.

B&B is a good alternate. I've used their lump and char-logs, and will try the briquettes once I finally deplete my stockpile of KBB and Weber.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          HawkerXP I just checked my local Academy online, to see what they had for "pickup today", and they have B&B lump, but not the char-logs that I like, or the briquettes. I bought a bag of each kind last Thanksgiving, and hoped to get more char-logs for this Thanksgiving - they run well in my offset.

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          I see it out there, but not near me.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I picked up a bag of B&B from Academy a couple of days ago. Going to try it out on a brisket point and some ribs this weekend I hope.

Has anyone been hearing the noise about the 'new' KBB Original? Some folks are saying it burns much faster, has an odor which sticks to the meat, has more ash and white smoke. Anyone experiencing any of those issues?

My local Sam's has 2 20# bags of the "100 year" label KBB Original for 19.98.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I have been using KBB original for years with no problems.

• Alabama Smoke
          Alabama Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought two 20 lb. bags for $20, I believe it was from HD. It was labeled 100 year anniversary or something like that. I use it to light harder to lite but better to burn briquets but that's about all. It does make tons of ash. It lights easily. I did not notice any after taste using so little at a time. I have never liked the smell of KBB.

I have noticed that with KBB. I went to lump and no more issues, alot cleaner smelling and tasting with way, way less ash. I would have liked to try the Weber briquettes though.

Comment

I bought 2-20# of the "100 Year" label, and 2-20# of the blue without the 100 year label. I will report back whether I see a difference between these. The label is the only difference I can see that people might call the "new" KBB.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
            Alabama Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            The advertisement I saw indicated that it was a 100th anniversary celebration. I saw nothing to indicate the product was any different.

• Porkies
            Porkies commented
            Editing a comment
            I used the 100 year bag for yesterday's pork butt and it was fine. I cannot begin to think what the naysayers were thinking.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here