Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B & B Lump with the SnS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B & B Lump with the SnS

I was at Ace today to pick up some B&B briquettes after reading some really good reviews about them. I inadvertently picked up the B&B lump and was wondering how to use this with the Slow and Sear. Do I light a lump at one end of the kettle (as I did with briquettes) and then just scatter more lumps in the SnS. I am sure this sounds very basic and naive, but I am still very learning how to use my kettle for low and slow cooking. Any help would be very much appreciated

I don't have an SnS set up but I think I've seen other members use it like briquettes. You might have to break up larger pieces. Also, if you saved your receipt you can exchange it next time you go to the store.

Comment

B&b lump is great! Just light like you said as you would briquettes, it might fluctuate in temp a bit more then briquettes but you’ll be fine, I think you’ll really like it, has a different flavor profile, , I use lump all the time! Good luck and have fun😄

Comment

I use lump only now in the PK TX and Weber 22. I confess I don't have a slow n sear, but I make a wall with fire bricks. Then lay the lump charcoal down by hand intsead of just dumping it in. That way you can break some up if you need to and put smaller pieces in between the larger pieces to make sure there aren't any big gaps and the peices are touching each other. You can then dump a small amount of your lit charcoal in one side or corner. I have only used Royal Oak and Frontier brand lump so far. I like it way better than Kingsford blue bag.
        Attached Files

Comment

Also if you use a chimney, you can shape a piece of expanded Steel and insert it into your chimney. That way the smaller pieces of your lump charcoal won't fall through the bottom. Like Marshall said above good luck and have fun.
          Attached Files

Comment

Briquettes by design are more uniform, therefore should be more consistent. Lump and briquettes are from the same material. Amazing Ribs has a great write up on this subject, The Science of Charcoal: How Charcoal is Made and How Charcoal Works.

Comment

joeeless I use lump all the time in my SnS with no ill effects. Just like with briquettes, I start a corner with a large handful of lump or whatever is leftover from the previous cook, then fill it with lump once the corner is going pretty good. I use 3" chunks of wood from https://fruitawoodchunks.com/ and I will put one chunk leaning up next to the lit coals and another one about 1.5"-2" away from the lit ones before loading up the SnS. I just seems like I get better smoke with the chunks on the bottom of the SnS. Does it run hotter with lump? Sure, if you let it. Typically I will use the water trough too to help with temp control. Depending on the day, wind, temp, etc. my setup will run at 250-285 for about 6-7 hours on lump.
              Last edited by Craigar; October 5, 2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here