Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Charcoal Discontinued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Charcoal Discontinued

Over on another forum, it has been reported that Weber Charcoal has been discontinued. It seems pretty credible with reports from the CEO's assistant and an e-mail campaign directly to this assistant trying to get them to change their minds. It's not available at Weber directly and ACE supposedly has discontinued stores being able to order it from their warehouses.

Anyway, I thought I would share here so those that love it have a chance to find a little bit or mourn appropriately. There's probably still a few bags sitting in local hardware stores and there was still some availability on HomeDepot.com.

Kinda glad I didn’t get a chance to fall in love with it. LOL

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Same. (Can't beat Kingsford)

I like it but did not want to pay the premium price. Just wasn't worth it.

Comment

It was great charcoal, but I have a hard time finding value at that price. Any charcoal really, lump or briqs......

Comment

I bought one bag of Weber, had a horrible time with it, and the price was pretty premium. Never bought another bag. If there's a lot of experiences like mine, I can see the problem for Weber.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Their reasoning is that the product is not cost effective. I don't think they made it themselves. Sorry to hear you had struggles. I haven't used it much but seems to be great stuff.

I still have 30 or 40 bags left from the Home Depot sale last year. Guess I will really need to start rationing it and start thinking "Is this meal Weber Charcoal worthy?"

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Ebay. Retire early

Was this a hardwood charcoal??

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, it is labeled as hardwood

• Histrix
          Histrix commented
          Editing a comment
          100% hardwood but it is molded briquettes similar to Kingsford. It is NOT a "lump" charcoal.

Sad to see it go as I really like it. I save it and use it exclusively for low and slow because I think it really shines there. I only ever bought it and stocked up when it was on sale though. I’m ok with paying a little more for a good product but $20 for a single bag is outside of my price range.

Comment

Call around to your local ACE Hardware store if you want to grab some. I saw a whole pallet about six weeks ago.

Comment

The report is that Weber says it's not cost effective. I can see that with them paying someone else to make it, using the resealable bags, etc. I've only used it a couple times, but I ordered some more before it's gone. There was a friend of a friend claim on the other forum that a B&B rep at a comp told this person they make the Weber Charcoal, so maybe it's similar to the B&B hardwood briquettes? I don't know how much I trust I put into the claim.

Over the past few years I bought a bunch of KBB in holiday sales at HD and Lowes and end of season clearance at Target, so that's mostly what I've run in my kettles before and WSCG now. I'm kinda frustrated with the amount of ash they leave behind though and it seems I can fill my ash catcher in 2-3 cooks. Lately, I've been looking for something that burns a little hotter and cleaner so have tried Fogo and Weber and have been very impressed with both. I don't love the pricing, but I probably burn more $ worth of fuel in pellets vs charcoal doing the same cook so I don't stress too much about it.

I was able to order a few more bags from HD at full price, to me it's not worth the hassle and cost of my time and gas to go from store to store to see if they have any locally and if it's on sale. If I'm out and about, I might check ACE in town and the True Value a few miles away though. The 10 bags I'll have of Weber along with the 2-3 each of Fogo and KBB will probably last me a couple years giving me plenty of time to find something else. Though I need to quit stockpiling fuel as I'm running out of space to keep it in the garage. I bought a bulk of CookinPellets this spring when they had a sale and have jumped on the Bear Mountain BOGO, the Almond pellets sampler, etc. I'm probably burning at least 60-80 pounds of pellets a month right now, so at least that pile is shrinking.

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              I hear ya on the ash! IDK if it’s because it gets used a bit more or what, but I can get BUNCHES of ash in my WSCG catcher in what seems a ridiculously short period of time, especially when considering how much unburned charcoal is left after a cook. What the..? O_o

Dang! That is all I was using!

Comment

Like others, I didn't buy the Weber nor have I bought other premium brands due to cost comparisons. I keep a local mesquite and KBB on hand, and royal oak. I use aluminum cans lined up to hold 'em - about 5 bags each I think. Just seal the handles so rain can't get in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Coals.jpg Views:	13 Size:	1.69 MB ID:	912368
              Last edited by JGo37; September 17, 2020, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Looked at for a second or so till I saw the price.
                I'd rather donate the kidney to one of my kids.

Comment

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL, I totally get that. I use charcoal for special cooks only. If it were my everyday thing I’d probably not want to pay the premium price.

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've only seen it at at HD up here, at $40 a bag the skid looks the same now as it did back in May.
                  I'm sure its good stuff but Royal Oak is $8.88 at Walmart, at 4 to 1 I'm going with 4.

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yikes, it’s $20 here, that conversion seems off though by them. I bought the first when I had coupon, because I didn’t want to pay 20.

When I first read the title my brain translated it to "Kingsford" and I was in shock. I’ve had a few fantastic Weber kettles in my day, but don’t think I’ve ever used their charcoal.

I've been a blue bag guy for a long time. Recently started experimenting with lump again.

Comment

I tried the Weber charcoal and it was good. Didn't notice a lot of difference from KBB though. When I need clean and hot, I use mesquite lump or other hardwood lump. Some of the Kingsford upscale briquets are nicer than the regular blue bag. I tried the Kingsford Competition briquet and it was hotter with less ash than KBB but not hugely so. Less ash is nice.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here