Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thaan Charcoal "Logs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thaan Charcoal "Logs"

I used these "charcoal logs" when sailing in Thailand. They came with the boat we rented. I was cooking chicken and all I had to work with was the rusty little grill bolted to the stern stanchion. There wasn't much clearance between the firebox and the grate and not enough room to setup for two zones, so I figured I'd have to (a) watch the chicken closely, (b) take it off and on if necessary, (c) pray. Much to my surprise these logs burned at a heat that seemed to be much lower than typical charcoal briquettes. I was able to cook the chicken directly over the logs without burning the skin and only flipping each piece a couple of times. I've never used them since but I've always been curious about it.

Does anyone here have any experience with this product? Am I right about the burn temp or was that just an artifact of the insanely humid environment I was cooking in?

100% Sustainable, Long-Burning, All-Natural, reusable Grilling Charcoal. Shop Online. Sign Up For Promotions. Less Ash, less mess, longer burner, hotter heat.
    Attached Files

I haven't used it yet but I do have a box. I found it in of all places a knife store that sold Yakitori style grills and this charcoal to go with it. They also had some very expensive Japanese charcoal that I passed on.

Comment

• gilbertpilz
      gilbertpilz commented
      Editing a comment
      The things I have read about it say that it is ideal for small grills and situations where tight control of your fire are critical.

• tiewunon
      tiewunon commented
      Editing a comment
      Davek8282 I wished I had the foresight to bring back a grunch of JN Sumi in my household good shipment when we moved from Japan.
      It does work fantadtic in a Konro or simular cooker.

I’ve used it and like cooking with coconut briqs. However the price is too steep for what you get. I have been buying the 24 lbs Napoleon offering of coconut briqs for $34. Just ordered a 20 lbs box of "Blazing Coco briqs" off Amazon for $29. Have yet to give them a go.
    ***Update***
    Timing is everything just got an Amazon Prime email and the Blazin Coco Briqs are on sale $25.90 for 20 lbs.
    Last edited by tiewunon; September 5, 2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I cook from Pok Pok a lot and there’s a few live fire recipes that recommend using these and I’ve always been curious

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here