Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time trying lump charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    Lump will be fine then. Fire it up and dump it in!

• tstalafuse
    commented on 's reply
    I am using an offset for this cook, so I wasn't counting on it being like a BGE (or Acorn in my case)..

• tstalafuse
    commented on 's reply
    Horizon offset smoker.. So, it isn't a problem to keep adding to it. Previously, I just have used B&B briquettes and added wood, but thought I would give lump a try.. It occurred to me after the fact I had no idea what was the best way to use it..

• Mosca
    replied
    What are you using it in?

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    I have used lump in my kettle as well as offset firebox, and use it just like I would use briquettes, with good results. I will say that if you monitor the cook with a device like the Smoke or Fireboard, you see more fluctuations in the pit temp with lump than with briquettes, due to variation in size, air space between pieces of charcoal, and such. It all averages out about the same though.

Leave a comment:

• marshall
    replied
    I have done both, but the minion method works good for long cooks.
    . Just smoked a pork butt with lump and harry soo donut method the other week, worked great!

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    replied
    I do "add as you go". But to be honest, I have only needed to add a couple of times in the last 18 years because I use a large BGE, and it easily lasts over 15 hours.

Leave a comment:

• tstalafuse
    started a topic First time trying lump charcoal

First time trying lump charcoal

For longer cooks, do you use lump the same as you would briquettes in say a minion style by placing hot coals on top of unlit lump coals? Or, do you just light a chimney full and add to it as you go?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here