Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a charcoal shortage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to Lowes yesterday and other local stores no Kingsford briquettes. Had to buy Ridge charcoal at Lowes for this weekend cooks, but not too impressed so far

Comment

I strolled into my local Ace Hardware last Saturday to check on the charcoal situation. They now have a couple of shelves of Jealous Devil and of course a huge supply BGE lump...and that is was it. I picked up a 35 lbs. bag of Jealous Devil XL to get me through the next couple of week. Unfortunately, the gal behind the counter couldn't give me an answer as to why there has been no B&B and now no KBB. I guess I need to do a better job of planning so I have the time to hang out and talk to the manager. I will say, they did have a nice assortment of B&B logs if you have a stick burner. Wait a minute...did I say stick burner? Hmm...

Comment

The last two times I've done grocery pickup from Walmart, they've been out of KBB. But I saw plenty at Lowe's over the weekend.

Comment

My hd shows 178 2 packs, jus now...kbb
          not sure what's goin on up there, Brother...

Comment

I’m still seeing plenty of KBB and likely will with that pricing.

Maybe it has something to do with Clorox shifting their priorities during Covid like other companies have?

Perhaps another supply chain issue?

Comment

Have you used Jealous Devil before, if so how do you like it Craigar?

Comment

• Craigar
                Craigar commented
                Editing a comment
                I have and I do. I find it comparable to FOGO. I bought a 20 lbs. bag about a month or so ago and I thought it was a little pricey at $27.99. This 35 lbs. bag was $39.99, but I had a $5 coupon so it made a little easier to swallow. Although, it is the same price that David Parrish sells 2 bags of FOGO delivered to your front door. Until B&B is restocked, I will continue with the FOGO or the Jealous Devil...if they still have it in stock.
                Last edited by Craigar; July 21, 2020, 03:50 PM.

• Craigar
                Craigar commented
                Editing a comment
                Huskee However, this bag says XL so this will be new. I am going to assume it will be the larger chunks similar to Big Joe XL lump.

I just picked up the two 20s at HD, they had lots of them.

Comment

Believe it or not, I was able to procure 3 bags of B&B briquettes over the weekend. I was able to track them down at an Ace Hardware in a little town south of here. When we were checking out, I asked about the lack of charcoal in the area and was told it was a supply issue. The distribution center for our area is not receiving any charcoal and they don't know when they will start receiving shipments. Once I exhaust the new stash I will have start ordering online or resort to using KBB. I swore off KBB and their Professional last year, so it will have to be a last resort situation before I buy KBB. Now that I think about it, I still have a 16 oz. bottle of Liquid Smoke in the pantry I could use in conjunction with the oven.

Comment

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HawkerXP The liquid smoke is from a few years ago when I was making jerky and the temps outside were below 0, so I wimped out and used my wife's dehydrator and the liquid smoke. I probably don't need a pint, but the price was right.

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, yeah, yeah. First you take the last three bags of B&B and now liquid smoke. What is the world coming to? LoL!

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I shudder to think what the world would come to if there isn't any football around here. My wife is already getting wound up.

Strange, we have plenty of KBB, at least, around here, and still on sale... it’s my favorite anyway, so I can’t speak to the rest, but at least, so far, doesn’t seem to be a charcoal shortage in Cincinnati

Comment

Here in south Maine, Lowes and Depot say you can order it, Ace Hardwares just have some lump and chip hardwoods and match light nasty briquets, but local supermarkets have some KBB. Seems like the distribution issue referenced above per the only Ace guy that could answer the question. Get it when you can, if you can.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here