Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a charcoal shortage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a charcoal shortage?

I guess I have been hiding under a rock and haven't been paying attention to much going on around me, but, are experiencing a charcoal shortage? I have gone to 3 different Ace Hardware stores, a dedicated grill supply store, and a butcher shop and there is no decent charcoal to be had. Granted, I could settle for KBB or even Royal Oak briquettes, but I have pretty much switched to lump. Fortunately I was able to get Fogo shipped to me courtesy of David Parrish for this weekend, thanks Dave. Has anyone else ran into this dilemma of late? It's like we're in the middle of a pandemic or something.

Not seeing it in my area.

Comment

I bought two thirty pound bags of Royal Oak at Walmart about 3 weeks ago. Lowe’s has Kingsford briquettes on sale for $16.97 for two 20# bags.

Comment

I have not bought charcoal this year, as I have unused KBB from 2018, Weber from 2018, and some B&B from 2019 to still work through. I always check the charcoal aisle at the big box stores, and it has seemed a little low, and not much on sale, all summer.

I just checked the Academy near me, where I got the B&B last fall, and they are low or out of stock on most types of B&B.
        Last edited by jfmorris; August 12, 2020, 08:22 AM. Reason: Change usage of the improper verb "unburned" to "unused" in order to avoid the grammar police (@Huskee)

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Academy seems to be out of a lot of things right now, at least the one nearest me. There is literally not one bike in that store. And the grills and smokers that used to be out in front of the store are all gone.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          For a sec I thought unburned was a verb, I was going to ask how I too could unburn my charcoal and become self sufficient in that regard.

I’ve noticed the smaller producers are out of stock in a lot of stores around me and online even. This may have something to do with the lag in the supply chain interruptions catching up with us more than there being a run on charcoal like the infamous TP adventure hunts of Spring 2020. I just picked up a 30 lbs bag of RO and they had almost an entire pallet of it and the 15 lbs bags in stock. I use it as filler to make my more expensive lumps go further.

Comment

Pandemic plus 4th of July = no charcoal I guess.

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            It has been like this for about a month.

Must be a Canadian influence, most big box stores here didn't bring much in to begin with and have nothing left in stock now.
          Walmart has Kingsford but at $30 or more a bag
          Canadian Tire shelves empty
          RCSS I got the last two bags of cowboy lump last week
          Home Depot can't get in the joint so don't know
          my story for local stores

Comment

• Argoboy
            Argoboy commented
            Editing a comment
            I went to CTC and two other stores and no lump charcoal, so I made my own. It is ok, I will make more.

Fortunately I stocked up a couple of years ago, so I'm good for awhile.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I bought dozens of those 2 packs of KBB at the 3 summer sales of 2018, and STILL haven't depleted it all. Then I added to that sale bags of Royal Oak and Weber, and B&B later on. The fact that I switched most of my smoking from the offset to the kettle+SNS means I also use much less than I used to as well...

Haven't seen that here in NE Florida.

Comment

I'm afraid there might be. I usually buy the Cowboy Lump at Costco, and I haven't seen it there in over a month.

Comment

All kinds of Kingsford and B&B here in Htown. Twenty pound bags going for $9 a bag.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Go ahead and just tell us something else that is better in Texas...

• smokenoob
                smokenoob commented
                Editing a comment
                under $9 at Wally World in the Republic of Florexcellence!

Not sure if there is a shortage, but we have plenty of FOGO! Thanks for the order!

Comment

not sure its a shortage, but my local big box stores definitely didn't get the normal summer selections or sales as normal this year. usually stock up on royal oak at Walmart when they run that 2 18 pound bags for $8 around memorial day. and then pick up other varieties like B&B etc as they go onsale at various place over the spring summer. only thing i was able to get this year was KBB and not at that great of a price.

Comment

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I haven't been able to buy any B&B products for well over a month.

I believe you can order on line at acehardware.com and have delivered to your store of choice. I just tried B&B briquets on the 4th. Love the long clean burn.
                Last edited by HawkerXP; July 7, 2020, 07:10 AM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Unfortunately not all Ace stores participate in this

My Sam's Club had plenty of KBB this weekend.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here