Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My lump is bigger than your lump...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My lump is bigger than your lump...

First time I've bought this stuff, and when I opened the bag, I just burst out laughing. It's Fogo's Quebracho Lump Charcoal. I thought KJ Big Lump was big. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200623_091037.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	869431Click image for larger version

Name:	20200623_130344.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	869432
    I can just imagine all the Kamado chefs out there salivating.

It's not the size of the lump that matters. Its what you do with it that does.

LOL

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      takes a lot of gravel to get her up to operating temp though...

Yes that is some big stuff, but not my favorite product in the FOGO lineup. On reading your post I chuckled when I noted your locale. Guess It was a "Surprise" size wise.
    Surprisingly Restaurant Depot sells a Quebracho lump here and the pieces are also ginormous.
    BTW you have a nice lineup of lump in that second picture.

Comment

• AZ Fogey
      AZ Fogey commented
      Editing a comment
      After yesterday's cook, I have to agree with you. The Quebracho is not my favorite Fogo either. There was a surprisingly small amount of viable charcoal left after a 3 1/2 hour cook, maybe half of what I usually have left over when using Premium or Super Premium.

• tiewunon
      tiewunon commented
      Editing a comment
      AZ Fogey I don't believe they sell Marabu anymore think the wood was sourced in Cuba. I am pretty sure you would not like that either unless you cook on a Konro then I think you would like it. A lot.
      My all time favorite lump and many folks loathed was Chef Wagon in the little 8lb bag. It was South American wood burned forever in my LBGE. Would get multiple long lo/slo cooks out of that little bag.
      Couple of lump charcoal brands I have voted off the island. Cowboy, Frontier, Mali's Gourmet.

Not surprising. I've gotten almost football sized pieces out of their Super Premium bags before.

Comment

tiewunon What's you favorite? I'm done experimenting with different brands of charcoal. I usually use either the regular Fogo or Jealous Devil for everyday cooks and the Fogo Premium for longer cooks. I'm trying this Quebracho today on ribs so we'll see what happens. The chunks would go well in a stick burner.

Comment

Those are some great pieces of lump. KJ Big Block was the biggest I have seen but those look like they have it beat!

I recently got some Jealous Devil lump for the first time. They only had the 8 lb bags in stock so the lumps weren't as big as you would find in their larger bags. But what impressed me most was the lack of small pieces and dust. With most lump the bottom of the bag is mostly unusable but with the Jealous Devil it was all usable pieces.

My goto lump has been the Fogo Premium (in the black bag) and I have been very pleased with that. I haven't tried any of their other stuff yet but I do my cooking on a kettle and don't really want huge pieces for that.

I did an overview video of my unboxing and opening up some Jealous Devil bags for anyone who is interested. I have done a couple cooks on it and have been pleased so far. Almost no sparking and popping and it burns nice and hot. I will do some more tests on it in the next couple weeks.

Comment

• tiewunon
          tiewunon commented
          Editing a comment
          JoeSousa JD is good stuff. Got the deal of the century on JD just before Memorial Day weekend. Picked up 6-30lb bags for $8.99 a bag at NAS Oceana Commissary. My other option was Frontier...figure those odds.

• JoeSousa
          JoeSousa commented
          Editing a comment
          tiewunon That is an insane price! Any decent lump at that price would be awesome.

AZ Fogey I am partial to Regular Fogo, Jealous Devil, 1906 Oak sold by Westetn Beef in Fla and Rockwood. No particular order in those. Very rarely find a prize/moon rock/plastic bags/flooring scraps etc in any of those 4.
        I actually went to the FOGO HQ in S Fla 3 years ago and stuffed 80 bags in a pass through bay in the motorhome. Its in an Industrial area and a very very very stupid move on my part getting into that place. Because getting out of there was not fun.
        I just got a couple bags of coconut lump and going to give it a whirl this weekend. I have used it before. Burns hot, lasts a good amount of time, not smokey smelling at all(pretty nuetral) so only smoke flavor imparted is from the wood chunks you toss on the fire.

Comment

You know this can be taken a number of different ways and lead off on so many different tangents .....

Comment

• AZ Fogey
            AZ Fogey commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, that's what I was hoping for. LOL. When are you getting your LSG?

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            As soon as I can afford it Actually though Chris is having a coming out event for his new pellet grill and I'm due to go up and make a review for AR. I was probably going to commit at that time.

Funny I never thought of you as a braggart. Guess I was wrong.

Comment

• AZ Fogey
            AZ Fogey commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh! You wound me. I'm not bragging, just stating mere fact. LOL.

Good timing Michael, I just got my first purchase of FOGO in today, a bag of the Super Premium and a bag of Quebracho. Haven't opened them up yet but expect they'll look like what you show. There's so much talk out in the world about "the best" on so many subjects and of course it's almost always subjective at best. I'm nearing the end of a JD 35# bag which was pleasing size wise for the most part. Not really any of those big chunks, but a decent spectrum of workable sizes. I will admit to being somewhat of a nut job though in that I'll almost always dump a bag and do a bit of sorting. The idea is to use bigger pieces for laying a bed or topping an going fire, and the smaller stuff for starting and fill in to attempt to avoid large spaces that mess with the fire progression/temp. The first pic is the bottom of the JD bag residue, and there's always going to be some no matter how good the product is or is touted as. That pile is about an inch thick on a standard automotive drip pan. I thought it was a tad much, but it was a 35#er and lord knows what kind of transport handling it endured.

On the other hand, I made the mistake of believing something I read online (I know, I know...…) about Royal Oak. I'd seen on several sites the comment that the "good" stuff marketed by BGE was packaged by RO, so thus the assumption is/was made that the RO is essentially the same product without the BGE markup. BIG mistake. RO lump sucks, big time. The second pic is roughly half the bag I had, and it's similar to the other half. All of the decent size chunks are down in the corner, about 7 of them, one about the size of your hand, the other six half or less that. The rest of that pile in the middle of the pan is the balance of about 10# worth. Some of it can be used for starter stuff, but most of it is absolutely useless unless I go into the carbon filter business. I guess to be fair if needed, this bag may have suffered innumerable transport insults that pulverized it...…………..but I suspect not to this extent.

As for those extra huge chunks in the FOGO bag, a nutjob like me (see above reference) would likely take a cleaving device to it and break it down to a "friendlier" size. Not exactly a Briss, but the best I can do with your title tonight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jealous devil dust.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	869605Click image for larger version

Name:	RO junk.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	869606

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree Royal Oak does not always have the best product but its in most stores up here at a good price.
            Couple of weeks ago I stumbled on Cowboy brand lump charcoal. Its head and shoulders above RO. Went back yesterday and brought two more bags, shudda gone earlier they only had those two bags left.
            Great point about handling too.

That's not a lump (in an Australian accent) . . .

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0514.jpg Views:	0 Size:	494.6 KB ID:	869637

Seriously. That's not a toy ladder.

Comment

• AZ Fogey
            AZ Fogey commented
            Editing a comment
            I've always heard that everything is both bigger and more dangerous in Australia. 😁 Good God, that chunk would over-smoke a whole cow, or kangaroo, or crocodile, or whatever you folks down-under eat.

Uncle Bob Trying BGE lump was what decided me to quit trying other brands. I was singularly unimpressed. 3/4ths of the bag looked like the same RO filler you got. And about Bris...very very droll.

Comment

ssandy_561 Yeah, yeah, yeah. People with smaller lump always say that. 😁

Ribs done today with my big lump. My intention was to smoke the ribs on the upper shelf of the LSG Adjustable Smoker/Grill. Even though I lit a very small section of the charcoal, I couldn't control the temp to my desired 275° without totally stifling the fire, the Quebracho seems to burn very hot. I gave up on the idea and just moved the ribs to the cool grate and used the pit as an offset instead of a vertical smoker. 2 hours naked, 1 hour wrapped and 20 minutes unwrapped, and they were floppy and poking like butter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200625_163558.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	869681

Comment

I guess I'm a lump novice of sorts. Most of my cooking is on Weber products (if I'm not burning pellets or propane) and every time I try to use it I get inconsistent burns and wild swings in temperatures. I bought a bag of B&B recently and there was one of those big chunk logs in there which really caused havoc in my SNS.

Anyway I know you kamado guys like it but I've shied away and prefer the even cooking of briquettes. Any comments or "yea buts" I need to know about? Harry Soo uses Jealous Devil in his WSMs, maybe I'll give that another try.

Comment

• AZ Fogey
              AZ Fogey commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you're right to stick with briquettes in Weber kettles, and especially with the SNS. Lump is probably more suited to large fireboxes although I've used regular Fogo to good effect on a PK-360 to cook steaks.

• AZ Fogey
              AZ Fogey commented
              Editing a comment
              One of the big advantages that I've found using lump is, that if your pit shuts fairly tight when you close of the vents, you'll have lot of viable charcoal left for the next cook. I think I got 7 or 8 cooks out of my last bag of Fogo. And lump produces much less ash than briquettes.

• JoeSousa
              JoeSousa commented
              Editing a comment
              I do 90% of my cooking on Webers and I have been using lump more and more for direct grilling or stuff like chicken wings where I need 450 degrees or so. When I reverse sear a steak I will do the sear part with a chimney of lump in my SNS. I still use briquettes for low and slow though.

I have liked the Jealous Devil so far. Not sure I am ready to move on from FOGO yet but I haven't seen anything wrong with JD.

With lumps that big, you should probably see an oncologist.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here