Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preferred Charcoal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preferred Charcoal?

Curious what folks prefer, and why, other than Kingsford. KBB and Pro is easy enough to find, of course, and not too expensive. But what else is out there that folks like? Fogo and Charblox both look interesting, but expensive. I’ve never found that the cheaper lump stuff is worth my time. It doesn’t do any better, other than less ash, than Kingsford. I have used more expensive lump sometimes and do like it for cooking steaks. But never found anything that I thought was all that worth it ..... I’m willing to pay and order online for something that makes sense.

Bear in mind I cook on a WSM and a Hasty-Bake. I don’t imagine I would use anything but briquettes in the WSM, but could be convinced otherwise.

Weber briquettes, particularly for long cooks since they burn a lot longer. They also don’t burn as hot as KBB, and my temp swings aren’t as significant. I like the taste they impart a little better too vs KBB. Ace Hardware carries them. 👍🏻

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper that’s interesting... they do take longer to light in my experience, and produce more ash. I still pickup 2-3 bags at a time and reserve them just for butts, briskets, etc. KBB for anything <6 hours since it’s less expensive.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper and FishTalesNC I had a hard time with Weber briquettes when I first started. They were the devil to get lit. I was discouraged, but found encouragement on this site to stick it out with the rest of the bag.

So now whenever I use them, I light them with a chimney of burning KBB briquettes. They get started well that way and they rock a pretty solid cook temp for a loooong time! They're now my go-to for long cooks.

Kathryn

• Burntfood
      Burntfood commented
      Editing a comment
      I think this explains my recent challenge with my PBC. Used some Weber coals for the first time that I had been storing for a year. Was catering for a friend for a small group but I was already running late with some baby backs and could NOT get the heat going. Once they took off they worked great.

I usually go with Royal Oak it’s plentiful
    in this area and best value at $8.88 a
    a bag at Walmart
    Tried Maple Leaf didn’t like it but the bag had been manhandled
    Today going with Cowboy Lump I tripped over
    at a local big box got $10 and change
    may be my new go to the Keg is holding
    250ish for my rib cook today
    see how things taste later
    Last edited by smokin fool; June 1, 2020, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I like Cowboy briquettes when I can find them.

I would guess that the Weber briquettes are like the B&B briquets, pretty dense hardwood, so you're better off using using standard KBB for the lighting process.

KBB for grilling. B & B for them long smokes.

Comment

Pretty much B$B. From their pellets, too bricks and lump. Even use their logs for my stick burner.

Comment

I’m another B&B guy. Briquettes work great for low and slow, also hot & fast.

Comment

I have never seen B&B local to me and the price on Amazon is more than I want to pay. Other potential sources?

Comment

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            Academy is a good source. If they don't carry it, they will order it for you.

• Uncle Bob
            Uncle Bob commented
            Editing a comment
            When I lived there I was able to get different fuels at the Ace over on Petrovitsky: Cowboy, B&B. The owner there was somewhat of a bbq guy. I bought my KJ from him because he was willing to wheel and deal.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Uncle Bob I’ll check out the Ace on Petrovitsky. Johnsons here in Maple Valley is a pretty significant BBQ place, but they mostly stock Kingsford, Weber, and BGE charcoals

If money didn’t exist I would always use B&B briquettes but Kingsford blue bag is a good standard. I get B&B for briskets and special occasions.

Comment

Blue bag Kingsford Pro from Costco. Only one I’ve ever used so I can’t make any comparison. I’ve got it dialed in on my Weber Kettle so I’m not changing it out for something different.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Typically I use either Kingsford Blue Bag or Kingsford Pro from Costco.

I do like B&B best and I use their charlogs. I would like to try Jealous Devil or FOGO sometime but I question if it is worth the premium.

Comment

Whatever is cheapest

Comment

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                Thats generally my approach unless im doing a legit long cook, in which case i love the weber briquettes.

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ve always wondered if higher quality stuff will give me a better outcome both for burn times/stability and cost effectiveness. I’m willing to try and see a couple times.

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                +27

Kamado Joe lump. Love that stuff. Costco roadshow price is the only way to go. Load up for year.

Comment

There are many fine brands but for me, B&B briquettes are unbeatable. Clean burning, long burning, hot burning and worth every penny. Those folks in Texas mean business when it comes to barbecue!

Comment

So where I'm at right now
                B&B for briquettes low and slow, but if my money is tight I go with Royal Oak all natural (brown bag) briquettes.
                RO for Lump (hot and fast) but I do like FOGO but its expensive, its just a milder smoke. I sometimes use B&B lump as well here and there.

I've tried Jealous Devil too, it's good but it's really expensive too and burns pretty hot but its a clean burn. Rockwood is also good Lump but has slightly smaller pieces for lump but it's a pretty gentle smoke as well.

Comment

KBB or Royal Oak lump. Neither have ever let me down, and can be found anywhere; why change?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agreed, Brother!
                    Most times I use KBB, but I've got nuthin but good things to say bout RO...though I use their briqs...ain't hatin on lump, jus don't generally buy it...I've burned several bags that came with CL Weber purchases, an it worked jus fine.
                    It was like, well, umm, charcoal lol
                    Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 1, 2020, 06:54 AM.

• texastweeter
                    texastweeter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I like briquettes for smoking, and the lump for higher heat applications. Lump doesn't seem to last as long contrary to advertisement, but it does burn hotter and light faster. Mr. Bones

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interstinly enough, alla th Lump I've ever acquired came with a Smoky Joe, as evidenced by previous posted pics. Works superbly fer searin off a steak, or some burgers / brats...never have tried a longer cook with it; jus used it as an available fuel, was never disappointed, pics exist of th results, on this very forum.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here