Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Question for B&B Lump Users...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Question for B&B Lump Users...

I used B&B Lump for the first time the other day. As soon as the flame from the butane torch lighter hit the charcoal, the wood started sparking - a lot. It looked like a firefly convention, and it kept sparking throughout the entire 45 minute cook. The tile patio floor around the pit was littered with carbon spots. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed with the charcoal. Is this common, or did I just get a bad bag?

I did get a bag of B&B that was worrying a couple of years ago. It was before the drought had ended. I was concerned enough that I wet the lawn down for about 10 feet around the cooker. I've seen a few sparks on occasion but nothing like that one. It seems like it sparks more coming up to temp than it does when it is at temp. It's harder to find B&B now that I've retired and moved. I use mostly Kamado Joe big block and Rockwood now. I don't remember seeing sparks with either of those.

Comment

• AZ Fogey
      AZ Fogey commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never seen Rockwood where I live, but I do like Kamado Joe Big Block. Most of the time I use Fogo or Jealous Devil, and I was looking for a cheaper alternative with the B&B, but it's not to be.

Ive used the b&b several times and never noticed any sparks, thats concerning.

Comment

• AZ Fogey
      AZ Fogey commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe it was just a bad batch. I hate to waste stuff, but I threw the pieces left over in the pit and the rest of the bag away. I was surprised because their briquettes get such rave reviews.

I use B&B lump and briquettes. No issues with either so far.

Comment

I have not seen this either. As lump goes I have enjoyed B&B

Comment

B&B Lump has work well for me too. IMO the B&B Briquettes are also a good value.

Comment

I use Jealous Devil and Fogo and have great results. I had a terrible problem with sparking from Barbecue Galore's house brand. This is a good site that rates lump charcoal: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprank.htm

Comment

I use B&B lump or Royal Oak lump, they both do this when I use my torch. I've tried other brands (Fogo, BGE, Primo, Publix brand, etc) and this replicates on them. I get no sparks when I use a starter cube, bundle, etc.

Comment

I am with au4stree as to no sparks when using a lighter square or cube. I use Royal Oak and when using a torch I sometimes get lots of sparking when lighting, but nothing like you describe and certainly no sparking after I remove the torch.

Comment

AZ Fogey It happens to me all the time, no matter the brand of lump when using a torch. I just passed it off due to the fact I store my charcoal outside and being subjected to humidity. But since you're in AZ, I wouldn't think the humidity would be a factor. I have ruined many shirts firing up lump charcoal, so now I will put the torch to some previously burned charcoal leftover from the prior cook to fire things up. There's much less fireworks by doing it this way. You can also put the fire to a few briquettes to get things going without much fanfare.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. It seems like it might be my lighting method that causes the problem. I'll get another bag and try it with lighter cubes. I sure hope it works because it's much less spendy than what I usually use.

Comment

Craigar - No, humidity is not a problem here, it's 15% here this morning. 😁 I've been using the butane torch for the last two months on Fogo, Jealous Devil, Kamado Joe Big Block, and KBB (only twice). Very minimal sparking with JD, and none with the others. The 1 lb bottle of propane just gave up the ghost yesterday. You've got a very good idea about using old charcoal to get things started.

Comment

I went through two 20# bags of B&B lump recently - the oak and the hickory. Saw a few sparks when pouring lit coals from the chimney, but that was about it.

Comment

jfmorris - I'm beginning to think that I just got a bad bag. I'll try it again.

Comment

I use B&B lump all the time in my gateway drum. It does spark some when lighting in my chimney, but not for long. It does seem to burn hotter than blues hog or rockwood

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here