Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMS measurement

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMS measurement

Could someone be so kind as to take a couple measurement from there SMS, I would like to build one for 22 inch kettle. Looking for measurement of bottom grate that charcoal sits on , mainly width at widest point of arch and width at top of water reservoir and what it tapers down to. I've seen some of the measurements on line but they dont quite give all needed.

I'm not sure you'll get what you're looking for here. If you want to build your own instead of buy the fine product itself, I'd suggest start with your kettle measurements and work up from there to get what you need

Comment

I'm a recent, very happy owner of an SnS 2.0 and I'm with Huskee here.

Comment

Yeah, we need to be loyal to Dave and Co. It's understandable for a guy that's handy with a welder, but they're not super expensive, and by the time you purchase the steel, design, cut, bend, shape, form, and weld you would just as likely have a functional but inferior product to the original. Not bashing your skills, but these guys have spent hours and years in R&D of this product.

Comment

You could buy one and then measure it. I'd have to say, Why copy the wheel that has already been invented?

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            And even more important - don't copy what has been invented and PATENTED....

• troymeister
            troymeister commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris Indeed Indeed

I don't know what an "SMS" is should have been the first response to this thread.

Assuming you mean "SNS".... considering that the SNS 1.0 is $59.99 and made from heavy duty stainless steel, I just cannot see going to the trouble to build that yourself, unless you are just bored and have a bunch of steel laying around. SNS Grills publishes the dimensions of the SNS on their website in the photos of the product.

Regardless, asking the Pit to help you make copies of a product that puts food on the table for one of our valuable members is kinda brash.

Comment

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris "kinda brash" is probably correct, but I have to assume OP might not know that the creator is a fellow member. I know I sure didn’t realize it when I joined and I had the same thoughts as he/she. Guessing most here, like you, were trying to take the high road too. In the end I wasn’t about to reinvent the wheel either and I’m now a happy owner of what was formally known as the 1.0, and I’d happily pay what I did to save the time and energy in recreating it.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Andrrr maybe I came across a little harshly, and if so I apologize. As an engineer doing hardware and software development for 32+ years, I tend to be touchy about the concept of intellectual property theft. The Slow ‘N Sear is protected by US patent 10,362,899, held by David Parrish and Aaron Lyons aka Huskee. Maybe the original poster just wants to make one for himself - or maybe he wants to make them for friends. He needs to be aware that the design is legally protected.
            Last edited by jfmorris; April 7, 2020, 10:34 PM.

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris not to harsh at all. Totally agree with you and it needed to be noted. Thanks

None of us mean any offense to you, (Ribrub) we just don't want to help anyone potentially violate a patent. We don't know if you're going to copy the design and try to manufacture and sell it, or simply want to make your own for personal use to save some money. If the former, please don't, it's unethical and illegal. If the latter, just get some measurements from the kettle and design what you need. If you can swing the money for the real deal, do it! You'll love it!

I'm closing this topic.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here