Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charcoal on Clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charcoal on Clearance

Last year in February Lowe's and Home Depot put certain charcoal on clearance. So, when I got off the freeway today I popped into Lowe's. They had 15.4 pound bags of Royal Oak Hardwood Briquettes on clearance for $3 per bag. I purchased 8. Last Fall (2018) Walmart put 30 pound bags of Western Lump charcoal on Clearance for $7 per bag. I was relying on that to carry me through the winter. So, I popped into Walmart on October 2 and they had already pulled their charcoal and grills and in its place they were putting up their Christmas stuff. Before today I was down to 1/4 bag of Weber briquettes and an unopened 20 pound bag of B&B lump. That's it. I'll be popping into Home Depot to see what they have, if anything. If they don't I'll buy more Royal Oak from Lowe's.

I just wanted to give the Pit a head's up. Check in on Lowe's and Home Depot and stock up if they have anything on clearance.

Thanx!

Comment

Down to one bag of kbb, thanks, I’ll check it out.

Comment

Hmmmm, your experiences may be somewhat regional in nature. Down here in Texas we enjoy nearly year round outdoor cooking weather, which probably leads to less "seasonal clearance" marketing. As a general commentary, I've bought the Western Lump from Wally World and have a lukewarm opinion about it. It doesn't burn or smell bad, but there is a fairly high volume of small or nugget sized pieces in a bag, roughly 1/3 or slightly more. Admittedly that may be a function of rough handling in transit, but is our reality locally. At close to the same per pound price I can get B&B from the local HEB grocery which has a better ratio of med (mostly) to large chunks vs small crumbs. Just a comparative FYI.

Comment

• ssandy_561
          ssandy_561 commented
          Editing a comment
          It might be just a Walmart thing. I won’t by Pringles or Granola bars from there any more because they are usually broken up into small pieces also.

Agree with @Uncle Bobs regional explanation.
        Up here in the winter blunder land our local Walmart and Canadian Tire put out charcoal 2 weeks ago. Last year they sold out in July and never restocked. Yeesh.
        Home Depot put up they're BBQ section last weekend even though they had no charcoal in stock. Another yeesh.
        They sure don't make things easy around here.

Comment

I got some of that 30 # Western on sale for $5 in 2018.unfortunately I didn’t buy enough. Thanks for the heads up on Lowe’s (5 minutes from my house) and Home Depot (2 blocks from my house).

Comment

No sales available in my area, but based on the number of pellet cookers and availability of pellets I have notice a shift in the BBQ world toward pellet cookers. For a while it seemed to be Kamados, PBCs, and then briefly griddles. What will the next shift be?

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              Pellet fryers. LOL

Down to about 96 lbs of KBB...but as I’ll drive past a couple HD & Lowe’s stores...I think I’ll need to drop in. Just ‘cause.

Comment

• mnavarre
              mnavarre commented
              Editing a comment
              HD is showing $20 for the 2-pack of KBB. Which ain't great, but since I'm down to 3/4 of a bag I guess I'll stop on the way home from work tomorrow.

Checked Lowe's at lunch time, nothing going around here.

Comment

Home Depot didn't have anything. I'll be driving by Lowe's again tomorrow morning. The deal I found is $0.19 per pound. If the Memorial Day pricing for KBB is $10 for 2 20 pound bags it works out to $0.25 per pound. I'm thinking I'll grab at least 8 more bags.

Comment

columbus ohio no luck

Comment

I stopped into Lowe's this morning with the intention of purchasing 10 more bags. Only 6 were left on the pallet and I grabbed them. I'm kind of kicking myself. I should have stopped back in yesterday.

Comment

Didn't they do this surprise sale about this time last year too? I remember wondering why there was a ~50% off sale not at the typical summer holiday time at some point last year.

Comment

Huskee Yes, last year in February Lowe’s had 15 pound bags of Royal Oak and Stubbs on clearance for $6 per bag and Home Depot had 14.5 pound bags of Embers on clearance for $1.90 per bag.

Comment

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No Kingsford though? Seemed like I remember Kingsford as well.

• JeffJ
                        JeffJ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Negative on Kingsford. Just the brands I mentioned.

Was in Walmart today and saw Royal Oak charcoal in a bundle of 2 18# bags (36# total) for $8.86. Next to it was a Kingsford twin pack of 2 15# bags for $18.98. I have not used charcoal for 7-8 years so I am asking.....Is Royal Oak a good charcoal or is there something wrong with it?
                      Thanks!!

Comment

• JeffJ
                        JeffJ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think it's pretty decent charcoal. I prefer it to KBB. At that price - snatch some up.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here