Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Kingsford going from 20lb bags to 18.6lb bags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just read this article about the "new & improved" Kingsford blue. From what I gathered there are approximately the same number of briquets they just weigh less due to the new formula.

Comment

Thanks for that link Craigar

Comment

They tell me that there are the same number of briqs and that they have the same burn time, but they have just changed the formulation. I am pressing them for more info.

Comment

The change is permanent. Here is a fantastic article that, in addition to Meathead's reply above, helps explain Kingsford's change to a slightly lighter bag. Same # of briquets, same burn time per bag, lighter-weight briquets. The article mentions their changes through the years, including the change this January, now called the '2015 formula.' It shows comparisons of last year's formula and this year's [new] formula, including photos of a chimney full of each burning side by side in 5 min intervals for 2 hrs. Ashes are weighted afterward. VERY nice article!

Comment

On sale at Lowes now FYI

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
              On sale at Lowes now FYI
              And Meijer. But not Home Depot, at least not in my area.

Comment

THe HD sale started today.. 2/9.99 again.. Hope my 2 HD gift cards I ordered from a "Get Paid to.." site come in before the sale is over..

Comment

HD in my neighborhood is 2 for $9.88. The one thing I noticed this year is HD has posted a limit of 5 from no limits in prior years. 629 units left in my local store.

Comment

I'm thinking this is some weird marketing thing by kingsford.
                    i have seen:
                    2.8# bags,
                    3.10#
                    5.9#
                    6.2#
                    7.7#
                    11.10#
                    11.6#
                    12.9#
                    14.6#
                    15#
                    15.4#
                    15.7#
                    16.7#
                    18.6#
                    20#

And that is just the options at WalMart and HomeDepot!
                    You really have to watch close to get the best deal.

Comment

Thanks mhalbrook, I just looked 2 days ago and no sale, but you're right it's on now. And like Craigar says limit of 5 which they've never imposed before (although Lowe's usually does). Looks like I may have to make two trips through.

Comment

• Craigar
                        Craigar commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You can try buying the max online to pick up at the store and then load up another cart while you're there. I am going to give it a shot tomorrow on my way home from work. I will let you know if it works.

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I thought about that too, since you usually pick up online orders at the service desk. If they really wanted to play hardball and enforce the rules they'd likely not notice you if you did it that way. I bet you'd be hard pressed to have them actually deny you a repeat sale unless they were really low. #outlaws

The Walmart sale of 2 15 pounders for $7.94 is equivalent to the 2 18.6 pounders for $9.88. 26.4 cents/pound versus 26.5 cents pound.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here