Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Kingsford going from 20lb bags to 18.6lb bags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Kingsford going from 20lb bags to 18.6lb bags?

I've noticed Lowe's and Home Depot are starting to carry 18.6 lb bags in the twin packs now. Has anyone else noticed this? Instead of a price increase are we getting a quantity decrease? I hope this isn't the new normal.

If we lose 2.8 lbs on a bundle but keep the 10.00 that takes a lbs from .25 to about .27. Is that right? I'm really bad at math. (and spelling, and grammar, and ...) If it is thats not terrible. I would guess if you seeing those twin packs then thats what were going to be getting. We need a somebody from Kingsford on here.

Comment

I hope this isn't the wave of the future, but right now Lowe's has the twin 20s (40lbs) on sale thru 4/8 and they also have twin 18.6 packs (37.2 lbs) for the same price. Home Depot (online) only shows the twin 18.6lb packs instead of the twin 20s.

And yes, your math is right. If this is the new pack size, we're paying an extra $.02 per lb during the sale, and about $.04 extra per lb regular price. Not terrible, but such is life right? Gas goes up 10x that per gallon overnight.

Comment

I'm not a weakling or anything, but I admit I really like the size of the 14 lb bags and have always thought the 20s were a little too bulky. Maybe these new 18.6 lb bags will be "just the right size". Hey, it's not much, but it's something.

Comment

Love the positive spin Boss. I was thinking about that weight thing the other day while I was humping some 80 lbs bags of salt down to the water softener. I honestly believe that 80 lbs weights a lot more today than it did 30 years ago. just say.

Comment

I've noticed that the bags get smaller every couple of years. The price goes up and the amount goes down. It wasn't that long ago that you would get two 25lb bags for $10.

-Alden

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
              I've noticed Lowe's and Home Depot are starting to carry 18.6 lb bags in the twin packs now. Has anyone else noticed this? Instead of a price increase are we getting a quantity decrease? I hope this isn't the new normal.
              "Say it ain't so, Joe!" I've seen this phenom happen so many times in the grocery store with flour, sugar, cereal, etc. We get less product and the price stays the same--or increases. I was hoping it wouldn't happen to our charcoal as well. Darn.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post

"Say it ain't so, Joe!" I've seen this phenom happen so many times in the grocery store with flour, sugar, cereal, etc. We get less product and the price stays the same--or increases. I was hoping it wouldn't happen to our charcoal as well. Darn.

Kathryn
                Yup, peanut butter did it a couple years ago. 18oz jars went to 16 oz. On it goes.

I'm picturing the bean counters at Kingsford going 'You know, if we reduce the bags by 1.4lbs each, then a hundred pallets would cost $XXX.XX less to ship, which would save us $X,XXX,XXX.XX per year, while keeping the price up revenue remains the same, with only a projected .006% loss the first year due to angry customers...."

Comment

The Kingsford web site states "Available in a variety of sizes, from 3.9-pound bags to 20-pound bags." I think I've bought 2 packs of 18# bags from Sam's Club in the past so not sure tat size is new. I guess I watch for good meat on sale & then just get charcoal if I need it and don't pay that much attention to it's size/price.

Comment

When I find Kingsford Blue Bag on special at Lowes/Home Depot it's usually 2 20# bags. When I find Kingsford Competition at BJs or Costco it's usually the 18 # bags.

I'll be on the lookout next time I stop by Lowes.

Comment

I'm fairly sure that the last sale I saw at home depot a few weeks back were for the 18 lb bags... last fall it was the 20 lb bags... Big companies think that we the consumer prefer paying the same for less. This sort of bass-ackwards thinking seems to be what they are all about. When is the last time you actually bought one pount of coffee at a grocery?

Comment

I heard that they changed what plant they get their bags from. It used to be from Exopack out of Iowa. It still may be, but I heard they were switching bagging companies.

Comment

Two 18.7 pounders here in Alaska for $12.85 and last year only $10.00 for 2 20 pounders

Comment

Thanks All for the heads up on the Kingsford prices, wouldn't have known about it with out you. I Bought 3 double packs of 18.6 lb bags at Home Depot today. I say buy them up before they switch to 17 lb bags!!!

Comment

Lowe's just had a special 2 packs (I bought 2 sets which was the maximum allowed) for $12.98. I just went into the garage and checked and they are 20 pound bags.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here