Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green flame from charcoal last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green flame from charcoal last night

Last night on my Weber kettle I noticed a distinct green flame (a few actually, but not all) soon after pouring the well lit coals from the chimney into the SnS. That’s the first time I’ve ever seen that. I lit the chimney using Weber starter cubes as I usually do. The green flames reminded me of the way fire looks when colored newsprint is burning. I thought it was coming from a particular coal so I removed that one, but then noticed it a bit in the remaining fire.

The green subsided pretty quickly, well before the meat went on but it kinda freaked me out. I went ahead and cooked my pork tenderloin and the taste was fine.

The charcoal was Kingsford original. Never had any complaints about KBB (except occasionally getting a bag with too much dust/crumbs, but that’s a distribution issue, not a production one). Of course I’m only assuming it’s the charcoal that caused the green flame but not certain.

My grill grate (Weber chrome plated) is used but not all that old and in still decent condition. Anyone experienced this or have ideas on what happened?

I've had it happen several times recently to me. It's green with a distinct chemical smell right?

What I believe to be the culprit is Grill grates that haven't been burned in yet and/or get too hot. Some of the coating or whatever burns off. And leftover food junk contributes to this as well.

ETA: this was with a newer grill that I was putting through it's passes a little bit back. It's converted me to the value of getting high quality stainless or cast iron grates. Screw that plated cheaper stainless crap.
    Last edited by TNPIGBBQ; November 7, 2019, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Green flames are normally produced by copper salts, boron and/or borax if I remember. It's not a good idea to cook over the coals while the flames are green, but you should be OK once the green disappears. Goin' on memory here, so I could be wrong...

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Memory? At my age I've forgotten what that is.....

You have just entered the Twilight Zone.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
        Green flames are normally produced by copper salts, boron and/or borax if I remember. It's not a good idea to cook over the coals while the flames are green, but you should be OK once the green disappears. Goin' on memory here, so I could be wrong...
        Doesn't Kingsford use borax to release the briquettes from the press? I've read that somewhere.

Borax burns green according to this. And RonB.

Kathryn

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          You are correct fair lady. They contain wood charcoal, anthracite coal, mineral charcoal, starch, sodium nitrate, limestone, sawdust, and ... borax. Funny though I've never noticed the Green Meanie before

It’s Ok to be green..................for a while...........or if yer a frog.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          ...or if you're coming down off a bad drunk

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
        It’s Ok to be green..................for a while...........or if yer a frog.

Or if it's printed paper in my hand....

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6844.jpeg
Views:	9291
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	766406

Comment

Comment

fzxdoc
              Thanks everyone for your input. So sounds like it may be some residual borax from the manufacturing process? If so, must be extremely rare since I’ve never seen before and not getting others here with same experience. Doubt it’s worth reporting to Kingsford. For this cook I emptied two partially used bags and part of a third so identifying the lot number for the culprit would be difficult anyway.

Now the main question: Am I gonna die? 😳 LOL

Comment

Originally posted by LSUBBQFan View Post

I think it's going to take more than a bit of residual borax to ease you on down the road,

I bet that 'Q was delicious.

Kathryn

Comment

Nah, just let it burn off, shouldn't take long.
                  Last edited by mountainsmoker; November 8, 2019, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LSUBBQFan View Post
                    well, technically, yes

Comment

• LSUBBQFan
                      LSUBBQFan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Best answer! Death rate still 100%

I saw some green flames while still in the chimney. I lit the coals near dusk and just assumed the green showed up better in the lower ambient light.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here