Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talk me out of buying from FruitaWood.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk me out of buying from FruitaWood.com

I'm very tempted to get some hickory and post oak - both of which I've never used, due to the abundance of home depot junk (at first) and now (after buying a new house) I've got apple trees and plum trees galore to use in the ol' Weber and SNS combo.

So...give me input. But mainly enable me; we have brisket back in at work and I am literally dying to cook one with some new wood smoke to see what the difference is. For science. And gastronomical reasons
    Last edited by Loren; October 21, 2019, 09:00 AM.

I regularly buy post oak from fruita wood. I’ve always been very pleased. Their peach wood is really good too, very unique.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      I love their peach.

I don't want to talk you out of trying anything but apple and plum wood are very nice. I put chunks of each from the yard in my Kamado (Vision grill). I also have a peach tree that loses limbs and it is really good.

Comment

Nope can't do it They make a quality product similar to my Maine Grilling Woods. Buy and use what woods you don't cut on your property. I keep 5 woods available, apple, cherry, hickory, maple and oak.

Comment

I have a local wood supply who always has oak in stock - sometimes white, sometimes red. I’m a fan of buying local, if it’s available. I’ve tried many varieties, but 99% of the time I’m happy with the flavor I get from oak.

Comment

I use Vaughn Wood Products. Always get full boxes and fast free shipping, or at least all of the times that I have purchased from them.

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            JimLinebarger never seen them before but it looks to be good value. Wish they did mixed boxes. Also, ive never seen sassafras smoking wood...ever used it?

• JimLinebarger
            JimLinebarger commented
            Editing a comment
            @grantgallaghger No, never have.

I’ve been using B&B post oak and have been very pleased with their product.

Comment

I've bought the post oak and peach chips. Happy with results.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              I like B&B. I can get it online with no shipping fee by ordering it to pick up at a local Ace Hardware. The price seems good compared to the other sources mentioned in this thread. I'm talking about logs/splits, not just chunks. I think they have hickory, pecan, apple and cherry, in addition to oak. Ace Hardware actually has a couple of different brands they sell. Some carry different species.

I heart my Fruitawood collection. Pecan, Cherry, Post Oak, Apple. Nice collection. Nice size for the chunks, 4 to 6 oz each usually. Just used some yesterday.

Hickory chunks I can get anywhere.

Kathryn

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Try their peach sometime.

No.

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              +1. Just no.

They have quality products. However, they are expensive.

I have plenty of hardwoods around me so I really can't justify the cost of buying from them. I have White and Red Oak, Cherry, Apple and Maple. I use them all and they all work fine.

I find that it is more about fire management than what exact wood you are using. As long as it is a hardwood and it is clean, you are good to go. I would say burn that apple and plum wood you have in ample supply. Plus, you are only using it as a supplement to your charcoal anyway. So it will give you all the smoke you need.

Comment

• Loren
              Loren commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah, good point, it would save at least $70someodd.

They are pricey, but i always have some from them on hand. Right now I have peach, apple, cherry and oak.

Comment

Well, after much thought, and reading comments, I've decided on waiting...for now eventually I'll order some varieties from them and see if the smoke is different.

...self restraint

Comment

• JGo37
                JGo37 commented
                Editing a comment
                Be one of us... succumb. Be one of us... succumb.

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Self restraint? You sure you are on the right site?

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here