Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is B&B the new heavy weight champ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just this summer I ordered some B&B Briquettes from our local Ace Hardware. IMO they are one of the best for the money I've tried so far. I will order more when I get low on inventory. They stock B&B Lump which is one of my favorites for my BGE.
    Last edited by Skip; October 14, 2019, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Nothing but B&B briquettes for me along with B&B Char-logs for the long SnS cooks. I am also using FOGO lump these days intermittingly with B&B briquettes...it's whatever suits my fancy that particular day.

Comment

Anyone have experience with the B&B Char-logs?

Comment

B+B is hard to find where I am (Calgary) but I'm with you on the larger size...used Kingsford obviously for years, then tried Weber once when it was on sale and had no idea they were that much bigger. I still buy a bag or two of Kingsford whenever they're cheap, as they're nice if you want something just for burgers and whatever, but for anything "serious" in my kettle or barrel cooker, the larger Weber ones are my preferred. Definitely keep an eye our for B+B though, always interested to try something new.

Comment

Have never used their briquettes but I love their lump charcoal. It is great stuff for kamados. And it s cheaper than FOGO. Now if I could get a merchandise banner for the BBQ room, from them............

I have never had any luck with RO. I always find junk in the bag. Not to mention dust and tiny pieces. There is a reason that stuff is cheap.

Comment

Just ordered the B&B briquettes along with some Blues Hog Smokey Mountain BBQ Sauce (husband's fav) to be delivered to my local Ace Hardware. Thanks so much, kelton and Skip for the tip about ordering from Ace.

Kathryn

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Ace is the place.

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              OMG Doc!!! At Spinaker and Steve B urging I ordered the Smokey mountain this time. I’m hooked!! I love sauce on ribs n such (no hate email please.. I also like soggy day old sandwiches and salads too) and this one is great. Tried the 50/50 yesterday with the Tennessee red. Real good but I’ll use less red next time.

• Nate
              Nate commented
              Editing a comment
              My wife loves the smokey mountain sauce as well!

Guess I’m heading to Ace tomorrow. I haven’t had issues with KBB, but I’m definitely open to new charcoal.

Comment

I have been using Royal Oak Ridge charcoal. It is thier premium grade and I am very happy with it. B&B is also very good.

Comment

Appreciate the commentary. Ordered from local ACE at $13,.99 for the 17.6# bag. Did 1 bag to see how it does. Based on your input, I expect it to be a go to. Picked up today. Hope to use it soon. Is the $ I bought at, is that a good price?

Comment

• Rod
                  Rod commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did the exact same thing today.

• kelton
                  kelton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah that's about right from ACE, that's what I pay for it. But I think its worth it

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Every once in awhile you will catch a sale at $10.49/bag. The Char-logs go for $19.99 for a 30 lbs bag.

Bkhuna

I’m still doing a brisket cook on my PK. I stacked two layers of B&B char-logs & filled in the gaps with a single layer of KBB & wood chunks.

I’m closing in on 15 hours, the fan hasn’t run essentially at all this cook and isn’t on now. Sitting at 282 F. Plenty of charcoal left. I think you can surmise my opinion of this stuff

ETA: it’s been raining off and on all day, 60F right now and humidity is 83%

Click image for larger version  Name:	E890427F-7A0D-4186-A008-4884F12AD701.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.77 MB ID:	758472
                Last edited by TNPIGBBQ; October 19, 2019, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	EF4CC865-FDFD-4CBC-AE61-035A09CE7702.jpeg
Views:	319
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	758521Click image for larger version

Name:	65B0E3CD-46D4-4671-8840-A67B3164302E.png
Views:	331
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	758520 Update, I’m past the 20 hr mark now. I had to use an ash tool to clear the bottom air intakes as the fan couldn’t get it past 245. I was trying to take it up to 300. I opened the lid to take a couple pics, to show there’s plenty of charcoal left to go a couple more hours.

heading outside to close up the bottom vent as we’ve cleared 340 degrees and the fan turned off. 90 degrees ago and the lid detection prevented it from kicking back on.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	6D63662F-6746-4A1D-88CD-DFA88EB4A1DF.jpeg
Views:	333
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	758522

Comment

• Bkhuna
                    Bkhuna commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My Dad came back from Vietnam in '69 and got a PK. It was his first and only grill until he died. I was away, and when all the original legs and grills rusted out the body was consigned to a lonely section of the back property behind an out building. I wish I had known it was there before my Mom sent it to the curb.

• TNPIGBBQ
                    TNPIGBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    @Bkhuna

I remember reading that story, that really sucks.

You should definitely get one, they’re great.

I got 20 hours with no reload and no ash management with Stubbs, but that was a no food test.

in the pks ash buildup will get you before you run out of fuel.

I’ll have to try the char logs sometime.

Comment

I fired up Mr. Fancypants (WSCGC) with 3 scoops B&B briquettes and 1 scoop KBB. I really liked the way it came up to temp pretty quickly and is holding steady at 250. I especially liked the fact that the billowing white smoke that is often the hallmark of KBB cooks until the kamado temp hits 230 or so was non existent. Just pretty smoke. I was so excited that I added my 3 chuckies at about 200° and let Mr. Fancypants and the chuck roasts climb together the rest of the way to the 250ish ambient plateau.

Kathryn

Comment

• Craigar
                      Craigar commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The first time I fired up a batch I went inside to finish tending to the meat and came back outside to find no smoke. Ah CRAP!!! The fire went out! Nope, it just burns that clean. Any more I catch myself doing the same thing as you putting the meat on earlier than normal to get a little cold-ish smoking in until the grill/smoker comes up to temp.

I am not completely sold on B&B as you can buy Royal Oak all natural for half the price and it burns the same as B&B. It is made of oak and hickory and provides a wonderful smoke flavor with no additives or chemicals added. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Royal-Oak...SIZE/406873334

B&B is a fine charcoal and I have used it but $ for $ I will use the Royal Oak.

Comment

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I too buy Royal Oak (briquettes) and like the smell and smoke aroma much better than KBB. That said, in my testing, it is the shortest burning for a load of fuel in my Kettle+SnS. I get about 6 hours from Royal Oak, 8 from KBB, and 12 from Weber charcoal. I have yet to try B&B, but plan to get some from Academy when my Weber runs out. I use the Weber for overnight cooks. I'll use KBB until my stockpile from 2018 runs out. I'll use Royal Oak for ribs and shorter cooks.

for those like me that didn't know....

Comment

• RichieB
                      RichieB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the link. The B&B 17.6# is almost twice price as ACE. If I like it and continue to purchase, I'll stick with ACE.

• JGo37
                      JGo37 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      RichieB I use locally made. Missouri has decent choices. But I do have KBB Mesquite and Royal Oak lump in stock too. At any given time I've got 150 Lbs. of charcoal, and a hundred pounds of oak, hickory, pecan and mesquite fist-size chunks.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here