Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Fogo fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m guess I’m the outlier in the group. I tried FOGO and didn’t care for it. Too many small pieces, dust, and crumbs for my liking.

I prefer B&B lump personally. Larger, more conistent pieces and very little dust/crumbs. It burns hot and produces very little ash.

Comment

I have been using the FOGO black bags for years in kettle. Before that, I issued the super premium in my kamados. Absolutely love the FOGO product.

Comment

Another hometown brand for me. The importer is only a few miles from my home.

Its all I get. I have tried other brands, and all I can say is they do burn. But the BJ Wholesale lump often has rocks and other weird stuff in it. Like for example, wood that is CLEARLY flooring. Tried BGE brand (made by Royal Oak) and it’s not really any different from Royal Oak, except in price. Lots of medium to small chunks, not many larger chunks, and too much shake to be "premium". The Royal Oak brand is OK, given it isn’t priced or marketed as "premium". I’d buy it before BGE brand, it’s the same stuff for about 1/2 - 1/3 the price.

The Fogo super premium is consistently better. More large chunks, fewer small chunks, and less shake. More of what you pay for is usable. I get more burn time per bag too, which acts to offset the higher price (don’t buy as much and more cooks per pound).

Give it a shot. If you don’t think it’s all that, don’t order more.

Comment

I've used a bag of Fogo and it's high quality charcoal. I like it a lot. I've also used a bag of Jealous Devil which is also very good stuff. I lean a little toward liking Fogo more, but I need to do a lot more cooks with each to really develop a preference. Go for it, I don't think you can go wrong importing it.
          Last edited by AZ Fogey; September 13, 2019, 08:33 AM.

Comment

I'm a big Fogo fan myself. Only have used the Super Premium. I'm currently working on a bag of Kamado Joe Big Block: low ash, very big chunks (overall I think larger than Fogo SP). Would buy it again. Costco always has bags when they have the Kamado Joe Road Show in the warehouse.

Comment

• Bobmcgahan
              Bobmcgahan commented
              Editing a comment
              I tried the Kamado Joe Big Blocks and really didn’t like it. It took forever to get the lumps lit. This may simply be an issue with big lump charcoal. I decided to stick with Kingsford Competition. I don’t see any difference in flavor.

I’ve tried JD and FOGO and they’re both really good. I think JD may burn a little hotter but it gives a different sort of smoke which I think takes some getting use too. Rock wood is also pretty good as well very mild smoke.

Comment

Just in case you're still not convinced, here's my FOGO mini review after my first bag a few months ago. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...872#post706872

tldr; I'm a fan. Actually finished off my second bag now and will be buying more soon.

Comment

I use three different Fogo offerings - their Super Premium, Quebracho, and Marabu. I am a fan of all three.

As Pequod mentioned the Super Premium is a bit large and I will likely shift to Premium when my stock is depleted. I use it in kamados.

The Marabu is no longer available but they've hinted they will try to stock it again. I use it in a Konro grill. While I don't have a lot of experience with it. The Konro is quite new but I can tell you the Marabu is dense and hot! Hopefully it will be stocked again by Fogo before my stock runs out.

The Fogo Quebracho is dense. It is made from ironwood and it burns hot as well. I use it on PK360 to grill steaks and the like. It is a champ at that.

BTW, I have and use Jealous Devil as well. I think it is similar to the Fogo Quebracho.

As you can tell, I like Fogo. I will also buy more Jealous Devil when my stock depletes.

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great, thanks for the input!

• grillinglousiana
                  grillinglousiana commented
                  Editing a comment
                  i use all the different fogo,and b&b,on steaks on my pk orginal,fogo in green egg,and barrel house

Originally posted by ColonialDawg View Post
                I’m guess I’m the outlier in the group. I tried FOGO and didn’t care for it. Too many small pieces, dust, and crumbs for my liking.

I prefer B&B lump personally. Larger, more conistent pieces and very little dust/crumbs. It burns hot and produces very little ash.
                I'm in the same boat ColonialDawg . I tried 2 bags and got the same results, smaller pieces and didn't notice a difference in burn times, compared to my B&B lump. I realize any brand of charcoal is subject to how it is handled by shipper/carrier, but cannot justify the price of Fogo, at this time. This is especially true since B&B or RO lump is so readily available and consistent in my area.

Comment

I use fogo on my green egg and barrell house cooker all the time,b&b brickets on my PK orginal for steaks.

Comment

Thought I would give this a bump......For those with Komodo's are you using the the FOGO Super Premium or Premium.? I have been using the Super Premium in my Primo XL for about a year now and been happy...For the most part....The chunks are HUGE. But they are a pain to get lit!! I did 6 racks of babybacks for a recent Christmas party and wrestled to get it lit, wrestled to get to temp, and to hold. (Probably the worst batch of ribs I have made in a long time, People ate them, but I was not happy with them.....I was considering dropping to the premium for increased surface area, should be easier to light....or maybe a mix of both........Or maybe I am overthinking this like I do with everything else

Comment

I tried FOGO one time, in a Big Green Egg. First, there were chunks as big as my head, that is not good. Trying to break it up didn't work, made too much of a mess. Maybe they have done better in the last year or two. But, for the first time in 20 years with the Big Green Egg, that stuff flared up late and I had a 400 degree oven on my hands when I was expecting it to hold at 250 like every other lump I had ever cooked with. I have stayed away from it, tossed the bag I had.

Comment

Late to the thread, but

Just finished my first bag of the black bag (Premium) and I like it. Consistent sizes of what i would call "medium" size, and very little small pieces and dust. I also have a bag of the super premium I haven't opened yet, but I think I will like the regular premium black bag better like others here I'm not a fan of the huge pieces. I'll us the super premium for some longer cooks.

Comment

I have shifted completely from Kingsford Pro to Fogo black bag for the Hasty-Bake. It’s great, huge difference. I can very easily control my heat .... from 250 low/slow to 325 for chicken to 900 for searing steak on the grill grates. I use half as much for the same length cook as I would with Kingsford Pro and have 1/4 the ash output.

The value numbers are awesome, too. I buy it from SnS Grills for $39.99 for 2x17.6 lb bags and get it shipped free. The 2x20 lb bags of Kingsford Pro at Costco cost me $20, but I need to buy two of those to get close to the same amount of cooks as I get from 2 bags of Fogo.

I’m considering converting to Fogo in my WSM as well. Anyone burning lump in their WSM?

Comment

Also note that a 17.6 lb bag of Fogo Premium on Amazon is $25 with free shipping. Compared to SnS grills who sells 2 bags for $39.99 and free shipping.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here