Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Fogo fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Fogo fans?

Hi all! I am discussing importing a few new charcoal brands to Europe with a bbq store owner here in Sweden. I’m real keen on getting a load of Fogo premium lump charcoal. Are there any fans here among us pit members? Good or bad experiences?

The other brand I’m looking into is Jealous Devil charcoal, used by Harry Soo I believe. It seems more expensive though.

I’d love to hear what y’all think.

I have been using the Fogo and like it a lot. Good size lumps and very little dust. I have been wanting to try the Jealous Devi.

Comment

• scottdware
      scottdware commented
      Editing a comment
      The Jealous Devil is really good, I think you'll be very impressed!

I have some Fogo but haven't used it yet. Have heard only good things, never anything negative. Wish I had a hands-on rating for you but not yet.

Comment

I have recently started using it and it's by far the best I have had.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryH View Post
        I have recently started using it and it's by far the best I have had.
        This ^

Comment

I really like Fogo and it is the brand I buy. If I remember correctly we have(had) some members from Fogo itself here on the site. They should get up with you if they are lurking.

Comment

I love FOGO. It is the best Lump I have found. With a good range of sizes in the bag. IMHO, it does not get any better. It always burns wonderfully in my kamados.

Just bought a bag today actually.

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Spinaker I hear ya, I have more burn holes in my golf shirts to prove it. I will say, I have had less sparking with KJ XL. I will give these two bags a go and will probably reorder in a week. You can't beat $40 delivered to your front door from our friend David Parrish .

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Spinaker Last night I tried a different technique...light the old stuff first, no sparks, then dump new on top. I was cooking in less than 15 minutes.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep! That is a great idea! Craigar

Fogo and B&B are definitely my first choices for Lump Charcoal!

Comment

I just started using FOGO myself. Thanks to so many pit members saying how good it is. Let me tell you Henrik. It is all that its cracked up to be. I love so much that I just bought 8 bags. 140lbs worth of it. 4 premium and 4 super premium. The super premium pieces are much larger than the premium. A friend of mine mixes the two in his kamados with great success.

Comment

The best I have used so far.

Comment

I have used the Fogo Premium and it has been great. Good size pieces, not a lot of dust, and burns hot. Overall the best lump I have used.

Comment

I just finished my first bag of Fogo Premium & I like it a lot (more than Jealous Devil). I bought my bag from Amazon but it appears that they aren't currently selling it. Where do you guys get your bags from?

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ABCbarbecue.com sells FOGO, two 17.6 lbs bags, $40 shipped (cheaper than FOGO's website). Give 'em a look https://abcbarbecue.com/product/fogo...mc=amazingribs

• kenrobin
                      kenrobin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ofelles Huskee thanks I will check out those links.

• Steve B
                      Steve B commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey kenrobin Check out FOGO’s sight. I just got a bunch of their lump bags for way less than Amazon. 8 in total. 4 super premium and 4 premium for an average price of $23 a bag shipped.
                      But they were having a sale.
                      Might still be going on.
                      But ABC might be cheaper still.
                      You gotta shop it around.
                      Last edited by Steve B; September 11, 2019, 10:21 PM.

Man, that is good to hear! I’m gonna order a bunch of bags, that’s for sure! Thank you all for your input!

Comment

• Steve B
                      Steve B commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Just mix it up. Henrik. You won’t be disappointed. 👍👊👊

Does FOGO add a better smoke flavor to the meat?

Comment

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I would say not really. It burns clean so the flavor is more neutral.

• fkrall
                      fkrall commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The flavor is definitely neutral--as this group advised me when I started using it, that gives you the opportunity to fine-tune the flavor note you prefer with chunks or chips. I often use FOGO to grill low and slow and Rockwood to sear at the rear for a nice hickory note.

• fkrall
                      fkrall commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Definitely neutral. I love FOGO. It's neutrality means you can "custom smoke" by adding chips or chunks starting from scratch. I also burn Rockwood, which does have a light natural smoke and is my go-to for foods where I just want a touch of smoke and not risk oversmoking, like the scallops I grilled last night.

I use FOGO when I can't get KK Coffee Wood lump. The FOGO Super Premium blocks can be so large it is like dumping a small tree into my charcoal basket -- don't get this trend towards larger and larger blocks. Followed to it's logical conclusion, all I really need is one large, charcoal basket sized chunk with a wick on top. I prefer more normal sized with lots of exposed surface area and airflow.

The FOGO smoke smell can be a bit intense, but pretty typical of other lumps. KK Coffee Lump has more normal sized blocks and the smell and flavor it imparts on chicken in particular is spectacular. No other smoke woods needed.

Comment

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Where is it shipped from? I can probably just LTL it to my office and unload there. Pequod

• Pequod
                      Pequod commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Spinaker - It ships from the KK warehouse in California. Shipping is definitely cheaper to a business address. Generally, Dennis gives us a heads up at the KK forum when he has a shipment inbound from Indonesia. That's the time to get your pre-orders in.

• fttank
                      fttank commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It ships specifically from a warehouse in Cerritos, CA. (Close to the Orange County/Long Beach area). I will-called 10 boxes from Dennis and avoided the shipping costs. Still haven't tried it out yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here