Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Fogo fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fttank
    replied
    I'm a big Fogo fan myself. Only have used the Super Premium. I'm currently working on a bag of Kamado Joe Big Block: low ash, very big chunks (overall I think larger than Fogo SP). Would buy it again. Costco always has bags when they have the Kamado Joe Road Show in the warehouse.

Leave a comment:

• fttank
    commented on 's reply
    It ships specifically from a warehouse in Cerritos, CA. (Close to the Orange County/Long Beach area). I will-called 10 boxes from Dennis and avoided the shipping costs. Still haven't tried it out yet.

• AZ Fogey
    replied
    I've used a bag of Fogo and it's high quality charcoal. I like it a lot. I've also used a bag of Jealous Devil which is also very good stuff. I lean a little toward liking Fogo more, but I need to do a lot more cooks with each to really develop a preference. Go for it, I don't think you can go wrong importing it.
    Last edited by AZ Fogey; September 13, 2019, 08:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pequod
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker - It ships from the KK warehouse in California. Shipping is definitely cheaper to a business address. Generally, Dennis gives us a heads up at the KK forum when he has a shipment inbound from Indonesia. That's the time to get your pre-orders in.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Where is it shipped from? I can probably just LTL it to my office and unload there. Pequod

• Pequod
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker - yes, it goes quickly when available. Best bet is to order a large pallet to reduce shipping per box. I recently ordered 54 boxes for 3 of us in DC area to split shipping costs. I have 20 boxes in my garage right now. Far and away my favorite charcoal.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Dang! Looks like it is sold out. I will have to keep checking back.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    I going to have to try that coffee wood lump. Order online?

• Craigar
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker I hear ya, I have more burn holes in my golf shirts to prove it. I will say, I have had less sparking with KJ XL. I will give these two bags a go and will probably reorder in a week. You can't beat $40 delivered to your front door from our friend David Parrish .

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    I would say not really. It burns clean so the flavor is more neutral.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    It does happen, but not nearly as bad as low quality brands like RO or BGE lump. Anytime you are torching lump you have to be careful. Craigar

• SmokeyGator
    replied
    Another hometown brand for me. The importer is only a few miles from my home.

Its all I get. I have tried other brands, and all I can say is they do burn. But the BJ Wholesale lump often has rocks and other weird stuff in it. Like for example, wood that is CLEARLY flooring. Tried BGE brand (made by Royal Oak) and it’s not really any different from Royal Oak, except in price. Lots of medium to small chunks, not many larger chunks, and too much shake to be "premium". The Royal Oak brand is OK, given it isn’t priced or marketed as "premium". I’d buy it before BGE brand, it’s the same stuff for about 1/2 - 1/3 the price.

The Fogo super premium is consistently better. More large chunks, fewer small chunks, and less shake. More of what you pay for is usable. I get more burn time per bag too, which acts to offset the higher price (don’t buy as much and more cooks per pound).

Give it a shot. If you don’t think it’s all that, don’t order more.

Leave a comment:

• Craigar
    commented on 's reply
    I just tapped into my first bag last night and it burned nicely for me too...and it burned me as well. Spinaker Have you had any issues with sparks when torching the FOGO?

• rwalters
    replied
    I have been using the FOGO black bags for years in kettle. Before that, I issued the super premium in my kamados. Absolutely love the FOGO product.

Leave a comment:

• ColonialDawg
    replied
    I’m guess I’m the outlier in the group. I tried FOGO and didn’t care for it. Too many small pieces, dust, and crumbs for my liking.

I prefer B&B lump personally. Larger, more conistent pieces and very little dust/crumbs. It burns hot and produces very little ash.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here