Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coconut Shell Charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coconut Shell Charcoal

Click image for larger version

Name:	cococharcoal.jpeg
Views:	367
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	711160

Just picked up 10 boxes of Coconut Shell charcoal from Komodo Kamado. The distribution center fortunately is local to me so I was able to Will Call the order to avoid the shipping.

Anybody have any experience with this or a similar product? Any tips would be appreciated.

Looking forward to see if the "zero flavor" of this fuel makes a difference.

This is what I found on coconut charcoal I know it is more expensive. But is a limited product from a small section of the world. So don't look for it to get cheaper.

Comment

Curious. Spent the last year getting into the pellets now it's time to figure out charcoal with a new grill.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Start with KBB and then move on to maybe Stubbs briquets. What grill do you have.before any of us any of us can really give us any more info. I don not want you to start with lump charcoal, later after you have you have understand your new grill you can play around with it you want, after 40 years ago I still don't use it I count on wood chunks.

I have used this before. It burns hot and clean. I would recommend using a torch to light it, as it can be tough to get going. It is pretty much flavor neutral, in my experience.

Comment

I'm with Spinaker, have used it 10 times (or so), burns cleanly, no flavor. But can't say it's a lot better than 'normal' briquettes either. Or worse. Depending on the price difference it may be worth it, or not. Give it a try and let us know what you think.

Comment

That's too bad you don't get some flavor from the coconut. I use dried husks cut up into chips for smoking. It's a great flavor for any meat that is good with cherry, apple, other fruit wood chips.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting.

Sorry, late to the party... I use Coco briquettes almost exclusively for three reasons:
          1. They are practically ubiquitous here in Germany, several excellent producres offer them in high quality.
          2. I find that they burn hot and long with very little smoke.
          3. This one is very important to me. Some time back the WWF took a long hard look at the charcoal offered in Germany and found that many producers included coal sourced from protected forests in Europe and Africa. Quite a lot was sourced from rare tropical trees or could be traced to illegal logging in eastern Europe. I'm not particularly 'green', but I don't want my hobby to contribute to the destruction of nature. With coco briquettes I can be fairly sure that I don't.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here